Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Installing aftermark stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 PM
1 Year Member
Default Installing aftermark stereo

Ok I've installed plenty of aftermarket stereos and once before on my 2002 monte. I just put in a new one, i didn't use a harness because someone had previously cut the factory one so I just wired straight into it, it worked on the last radio I had in it, but now it doesn't power on? Idk what's going on. Cause every diagram I look at they say like a orange is constant and yellow is accessory, well my car has an orange and a red, and I know the red always goes onto the red but this time I'm wondering why it isn't working, any help?

Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I also have done sound systems, this one I'm not doing myself. There are many stories about the sound system troubles in this gen Monte
Sorry that isn't helpful, but maybe someone else can help

Old 10-08-2016, 12:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I pulled the radio harness connector for your car from the shop book (the chart below is for only the main connector, it does not include if you had onstar or XM or other aux like functions on that smaller connector the GM radios have).

Since someone cut your original connector, you are at a disadvantage. One of the orange wires is data and the other is battery.

I hope the attached chart helps.

Attached Files

Last edited by The_Maniac; 10-08-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:07 PM

Can I ask everyone here a question? GM and its suppliers make computers that analyze every function of your car, thousands of times a second. Why is it that you don't trust them to make an electronic device whose most recent technological innovation was in 1982?

And why do you want your interiors to be ugly?

Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man
Can I ask everyone here a question? GM and its suppliers make computers that analyze every function of your car, thousands of times a second. Why is it that you don't trust them to make an electronic device whose most recent technological innovation was in 1982?

And why do you want your interiors to be ugly?
I don't follow. How does this relate to the topic?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I am thinking the same thing. Bummer on the radio too though! Get a test light I suppose.

Why do these cars have sound system problems?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Because the topic is, aftermarket stereos. I'm trying to discover why anyone wants one.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 AM

10 Year Member

The way you made your post about computers to analyze things seemed a bit odd.
I have swapped in aftermarket radios into cars before. You can get ones that don't look too out of place with the rest of the style of the car. As for major innovation, a lot has changed in the radio industry since 1982 and since the Monte was built. Such as:
- xm radio
- MP3 on cd support
- MP3 from USB media
- Bluetooth hands free integration to the radio
- navigation via the radio
- connection for an aux input or iPhone, iPod or android phone
- some upgrades to speakers and amps might be complimented by an upgraded head unit

When I bought my 04 Monte, I wanted support for MP3 on cd. At the time it was a crazy coat to get the wiring harness for it AND because of some of the integration with the radio and ease of access to features from the radio I would have to remount the factory radio elsewhere. I did not like that. I got lucky and found gm had a radio the matched my Monte one and offered the feature. It came from a cavalier or venture van. Swapped it in and I have the factory look and an added feature.

But I have put after market radios and radios with cd changers in some of my past cars.

Lots of reasons to change the radio and done right it is no big deal.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 AM

Changing out the factory radio gives you a chance to add features. plus you can add external amps and better speakers. and a subwoofer adds real power and depth. of course this can be a pretty big project in some cars..a lot of folks enjoy aftermarket sound systems and installing them....I am one of those people.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:29 AM

Agreed with above - and with a little knowhow and determination, you can add most of these features yourself. There are several people who added various things to their stock radios to add features such as bluetooth, aux, external amps, ect. Where there's a will, there's a way. Aftermarket is just an easier solution for sure in most cases with older cars.