Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Key stuck in ignition; solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Unhappy Key stuck in ignition; solenoid?

Hello! I am hoping to get some opinions and/or help with my 06 Monte. Car is in park, I'm ready to remove the key, but I can't bring the key towards me to remove it. Took it to my mechanic and he discovered that the solenoid isn't communicating with the shifter that I am in park. So he left my steering column naked so I am able to push in the little button on the solenoid in order to get my key out. He's going to scan my car's computer module on Monday, but I am told that I can just remove the solenoid and be okay to drive it. I'd appreciate any input. I really can't go into an expensive repair. So that's why i am thinking the solenoid removal is the way to go.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres the fix more than likely...

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...uck+06mistreSS <---- Clicky

Check out the pix on page 2...

Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Heres the fix more than likely...

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...uck+06mistreSS <---- Clicky

Check out the pix on page 2...
I should clarify that my car isn't stuck in park. I can drive it. I just can't remove the key once it's in park and I'm ready to exit the vehicle. I did, however, email the link to my mechanic. Thanks so much!

Last edited by PhillyZepHeather; 04-11-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PhillyZepHeather
I should clarify that my car isn't stuck in park. I can drive it. I just can't remove the key once it's in park and I'm ready to exit the vehicle. I did, however, email the link to my mechanic. Thanks so much!
Generally...
The shift solenoid.(Once in park)..its suppose to trip the solenoid for the key release...
Obviously something isn't getting the message...
I tried...

It maybe something as simple as a dirty,corroted connection at the plug/wires on the solenoid?... Or it may simply be that the tumblers/ignition is worn out..thus not enabling it to release with out doing it manually.. (Tripping the solenoid)

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Yeah, its your shifter dude, I can tell you that now ^_^; Make sure your shifter is pushed ALLL the way up, and pull it out. It happened once on my prev 7th gen, and ironicly it was the shifter AND key. So I got another key made and it went in smoothly and out smoothly. Also, refrain from attaching anything to your shifter such as air freshners with strings or such, it gets stuck in the bottom and causes this problem as well. You could take your console out, and Manually push in the shifter button to reset it if i remember correctly.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Generally...
The shift solenoid.(Once in park)..its suppose to trip the solenoid for the key release...
Obviously something isn't getting the message...
I tried...

It maybe something as simple as a dirty,corroted connection at the plug/wires on the solenoid?... Or it may simply be that the tumblers/ignition is worn out..thus not enabling it to release with out doing it manually.. (Tripping the solenoid)

Yeah there's definitely a communication issue between shifter and solenoid. I take the car back to the shop on Monday! Right now I'm just driving it with the steering column opened up so I can get my finger in there to trigger the solenoid. Ugh, that word "solenoid" is going to haunt me forever! LOL

Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Yeah, its your shifter dude, I can tell you that now ^_^; Make sure your shifter is pushed ALLL the way up, and pull it out. It happened once on my prev 7th gen, and ironicly it was the shifter AND key. So I got another key made and it went in smoothly and out smoothly. Also, refrain from attaching anything to your shifter such as air freshners with strings or such, it gets stuck in the bottom and causes this problem as well. You could take your console out, and Manually push in the shifter button to reset it if i remember correctly.
Mechanic (and I) did the shifter thing. I go back on Monday. I have nothing attached to my shifter. My air fresheners are hanging from my rear-view!

Mechanic took apart my steering column panel so I can access the solenoid and that's how I'm able to get the key out once it's in park.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Had a problem with both the shifter not shifting from park and key not coming out. both at separate times. The problem was in the connector to the shifter. These problems have resurfaced several times. The first time the wire actually got cut from chaffing, the second a connector wire at the harness broke. Fixed about 3 or for times. Final fix (fingers crossed) I bought a pigtail connector to replace connect and extra length of wire from rockauto.com. most auto parts stores look at you like you have two heads when you ask for it.
The connector is at the right side of shifter, underneath the center console.