Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Intake gaskets, valve stem gaskets, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Intake gaskets, valve stem gaskets, what else?

Hey guys,

As it's finally warming up here in Indiana (and finals week is here ), that means I'll be (at least temporarily) heading home for a bit and can get some work done on the Monte!

It's a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8L engine. I've been thinking about changing the intake gaskets for some time and I believe now is the time as it may be causing a mysterious coolant loss. The low coolant level light keeps coming on every couple of hundred miles, but I can't seem to find any leaks (radiator and hoses replaced not long ago) or drips. Engine oil doesn't seem to be too milky (yet?) although the oil has been darker during oil changes than in the past.

I found the article and step by step guide from NAOIA and plan to follow it pretty closely

I also plan to replace the valve cover gasket while I'm at it because I noticed it was recommended somewhere and I have been getting a very small, yet irritating oil leak there.

My questions are:
A) Outside from the tutorial and using the Felpro gaskets, do you have any other suggestions to make this go smoothly? I'm planning to set aside 2-3 solid days for this.
B) Any other recommendations of things to replace while I'm in there? Are the coolant elbows easy to reach while I'm at it?

Thanks for the always helpful advice!

Last edited by Furder2010; 04-28-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: valve cover gasket, not valve stem
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Furder2010
Hey guys,

As it's finally warming up here in Indiana (and finals week is here ), that means I'll be (at least temporarily) heading home for a bit and can get some work done on the Monte!

It's a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8L engine. I've been thinking about changing the intake gaskets for some time and I believe now is the time as it may be causing a mysterious coolant loss. The low coolant level light keeps coming on every couple of hundred miles, but I can't seem to find any leaks (radiator and hoses replaced not long ago) or drips. Engine oil doesn't seem to be too milky (yet?) although the oil has been darker during oil changes than in the past.

I found the article and step by step guide from NAOIA and plan to follow it pretty closely

I also plan to replace the valve stem gasket while I'm at it because I noticed it was recommended somewhere and I have been getting a very small, yet irritating oil leak there.

My questions are:
A) Outside from the tutorial and using the Felpro gaskets, do you have any other suggestions to make this go smoothly? I'm planning to set aside 2-3 solid days for this.
B) Any other recommendations of things to replace while I'm in there? Are the coolant elbows easy to reach while I'm at it?

Thanks for the always helpful advice!

I believe you meant to say valve cover gaskets ,Not valve stem ?
valve cover gaskets aren't bad to change.
Intake gaskets aren't to hard to change. You should change the coolant elbows to since the coolant will be drained..

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
I believe you meant to say valve cover gaskets ,Not valve stem ?
valve cover gaskets aren't bad to change.
Intake gaskets aren't to hard to change. You should change the coolant elbows to since the coolant will be drained..
Good catch, yes I do in fact mean valve cover gaskets. Edited post to reflect that. Thank you for your input!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM

Take care of the thermostat while you're in there too

Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

You have to remove the coolant elbows while removing the LIM, so as stated, change them while you are there. Try the new Dorman aluminum elbows. So far I have not heard anyone having those push out on them (leaking).

The whole job is easy, just take your time. Make CERTAIN the FelPro gaskets you use are the aluminum ones (no sense using the old nylon ones).

Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM

I used the Dorman aluminum elbows and they seem to be much more durable than the old plastic ones

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the advice on the tstat, I've already replaced the tstat, coolant sensor, gaskets there not too long ago

Alright, here is what I believe I'm going to order:

MS98014T - Felpro LIM gasket (aluminum), includes rubber-plastic end seals, rings, etc.
89017544 - ACDELCO Upper Intake Manifold gasket (nylon ? )
VS50080R - Felpro valve cover gasket, set of 2.
ES72833 - Felpro valve cover grommet set
ES71190 - Felpro fuel injector o-ring set, injectors to cylinder head
ES71192 - Felpro fuel injector o-ring set, injectors to fuel rail
47065HP - Dorman aluminum heater hose fitting (elbows), upper and lower

With RockAuto's amazing prices, 5% discount, and shipping, this is barely over $100. I'll still have to pick up engine oil and filter, radiator coolant, some lubricant from the local auto parts store.

Does this look like a pretty typical order? I've seen various posts about the upper intake manifold gasket, seems like it doesn't matter too much which one you get for it? Or is there a specific one that is currently recommended?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like you have evrything you need in that list...
Yes the upper unfortunately (UIM) is still going to be a nylon(plastic)
Gasket kit...

Thats what I am also useing on mine...

Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

You can cross these off, I believe they are in the other kits, but double check:

You won't need the injector o-rings to the fuel rail unless you plan to pull the injectors out of the rail (no need to do that really).

Also, unless you UIM has a gasket with it, add a Dorman UIM kit.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You can cross these off, I believe they are in the other kits, but double check:

You won't need the injector o-rings to the fuel rail unless you plan to pull the injectors out of the rail (no need to do that really).

Also, unless you UIM has a gasket with it, add a Dorman UIM kit.
Unfortunately, the valve cover grommet gaskets said they did not come with the grommets, that's why I chose these (only a couple of bucks too).

But regarding the Dorman UIM kit...is it recommended to replace the entire Upper Intake Manifold and its gasket for this? Or just use the same upper intake manifold and a new gasket only?

I saw a couple of posts that suggested replacing entire upper manifold, but I don't think it's necessary unless you know it's bad? I believe this is the link to the one you suggested in another post: http://www.ineedparts.com/gm-intake-...ifold-kit.html

I really appreciate your guys' help, much better (and cheaper) to be prepared for the project before you start!

Last edited by Furder2010; 04-29-2013 at 02:47 PM.