Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

? How often do you bleed/flush your Brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ? How often do you bleed/flush your Brakes ?

Hi Member's,
How often to your Bleed/Flush you brake system ? ?
Pat Goss says every two years...I know that condensation gets in the system over time, but I did not know it had to be done that often ? What do you `do ?

I know how important it is to have fresh brake fluid & how important our brakes are "I can't stop" Oh `no..When is the last time you did it ? What ? Never Oh `No
I'm learning it's better to be SAFE , then SORRY 4-Sure..

Look forward to your posts/opinions...Thanks

<!-- -->
<!-- .clear --><!-- -->
<!-- .shadow_right_small --><!-- -->
<!-- .clear --><!-- small_image --><!-- .left.narrower -->Bleeding Brakes <~ Click 4 article & `Vid

We all know that bleeding your brakes is important, but we also know that it’s a pain to do. Pat has a product that lessens the sting. Unfortunately, most drivers don’t do anything except check the level of their brake fluid and that’s a bad thing because… Read More

p.s. Good Stopping 2 U

Last edited by Space; 06-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM

I just did my 01 when I bought it. Unless you have a pressure bleeder it takes two people. I first use a turkey baster to pull as much of the old fluid out of the Master Cylinder and then replace with clean. Then you have one person pump the brakes and hold while you open the bleed valve on one wheel at a time. When the brake pedal goes to the floor they hold it down until you close the valve. Then you repeat until the fluid comes out clean.

Do this for each wheel being careful not to get brake fluid on any painted surfaces. It will ruin the paint. Also be careful not to let the Master Cylinder run out of fluid or you will be re-bleeding all the wheels to get the air out..

Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gosh I never have

"Ronda where's the turkey Baster!!!!! ... stat"

Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
I just did my 01 when I bought it. Unless you have a pressure bleeder it takes two people. I first use a turkey baster to pull as much of the old fluid out of the Master Cylinder and then replace with clean. Then you have one person pump the brakes and hold while you open the bleed valve on one wheel at a time. When the brake pedal goes to the floor they hold it down until you close the valve. Then you repeat until the fluid comes out clean.

Do this for each wheel being careful not to get brake fluid on any painted surfaces. It will ruin the paint. Also be careful not to let the Master Cylinder run out of fluid or you will be re-bleeding all the wheels to get the air out..
Hi `Joe & thanks for your post/input.. Yes, good reminder/Warning to not get any brake fluid on your paint (or U will be really sorry) 4-Sure

Pat says to start at the rear & then do the opposite side front & the go to the rear again & bleed & then the opposite side front..( I hope that made sense lol) Or see his vid..
======================================
Hi `Tadd, you should do `it or have it done...I think it's a very important maintenance for your ride 4-Sure...
We all like to `go fast, but we also want to STOP the best that we can 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 06-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Bonus Post !
<!-- -->
<!-- .clear --><!-- -->
<!-- .shadow_right_small --><!-- -->
<!-- .clear --><!-- small_image --><!-- .left.narrower -->Battery Replacement < Click (If you can't start it, you don't have to worry about stop'in it (LOL)

One of the most important parts of the car is the battery. Replacing a car battery is not as straightforward as it once was. If we take the battery out of the car, we can’t start it, we can’t drive it, we can’t even listen to the radio. So it is vital.… Read More <~ Click < click

Member's, what type of battery do you have in your Monte ? Are you happy with it ? Please post & share

Last edited by Space; 06-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM

http://shop.autoanything.com/brakes/...odfSX01w&w4n=1 <~ Click

================================================== =
Member z`Jerry posted in yesterday blog about stainless Brake lines...Does any member have them...Please post if you put them on?, or had them put on + (What's the cost ) ? Why did you change ?
Thanks You

Last edited by Space; 06-26-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Every 2 to 3 years sounds about right. I bled the system in my Monte shortly after purchasing it. For the DIYer you can do a one man bleed with a tool similar to this:

Amazon.com: Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit: Automotive

Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Space
Pat says to start at the rear & then do the opposite side front & the go to the rear again & bleed & then the opposite side front..( I hope that made sense lol) Or see his vid..
You generally start on the wheel furthest from the brake master cylinder, (whichever that may be depends on the vehicle), and work your way up to the wheel closest to it. Supposedly, it doesn't matter on modern brake systems with ABS, but I still do it RR LR RF LF out of habit (e.g., I'm ****).

Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Generally speaking, I bleed/ flush my brake fluid every or every other time I change out the brakes.