Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

High revs/loss of power after 30 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Default High revs/loss of power after 30 mph?

Hi guys,

When I'm merging onto the freeway, I notice that as I'm accellerating on the on-ramp, I have good accelleration up until about 30 MPH. Then you can hear the car shift gears at which time the engine seems to rev high and my accelleration is almost non-existent. My speed does creep up but oh so slowly. I can cruise along just fine once I get to highway speeds but Heaven help me if I need to stomp on the gas to pass. Basically.....I can't.

I was going to take the car in today to have its transmission fluid and filter replaced. It's an '01 MC SS with 55,000 miles on it and I've never had the tranny fluid/filter replaced.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Eric

Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Default RE: High revs/loss of power after 30 mph?

Hi Eric,
It maybe your `Cat Converter is clogged. Many members
have had clogged Cat`s that affect performance.
I think it is also a good idea to have your transmission fluid/filter
changed.
Check back on the MCF for other members to post their
opinions/sollutions/idea`s on your problem.
Wish you a fast resolve to your prob.
Good Luck from
`Space

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Hi Eric,
Click on the below link
yes - this sounds like a clogged catalytic converter...an easy way to verify is to remove the oxygen sensor in front of the convertor ...if power comes back it is a dead givaway to a clogged catalytic converter..

Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Thank you for the info! I've never heard of a clogged cat converter. What wold cause that? Is there anything I can do to prevent it i the future? Does this mean I have to take it into the garage so they can change out the catalytic converter? We're talking expensive, right? Ugh!

Thank you,

Eric

Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 AM

[align=center]Hi Eric,[/align][align=center]If it is your cat that is bad, check the below link[/align][align=center]and go to the 5th MCF Members post.[/align][align=center]It has a GM Tech on bad cats on Monte Carlos.[/align][align=center]A cat for your Monte is about $188.[/align][align=center]Click below and hopefully it will help you `if[/align][align=center]you fall into the policy adjustment by GM.[/align][align=center]Labor and Parts are `free [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/archive/...0-12459-1.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM

KidSpace, you've been an amazing help! Thank you for the info and for the link to that post. I'm going to look into this some more especially about that coverage of what might be a bad converter.

Thank you again!

Eric