Monte Carlo Forums

Go Back   Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > General Forums > Monte Carlo Repair Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Trader Rating:(0)
Default Here we go again..BCM!!

Has anyone had the problem of their aftermarket electronics causing the BCM to go bad. I just had mine replaced in my 03' in April (at the dealership!) and yesterday I began to have the tell tell signs of a bad BCM.. Aftermarket radio won't turn off, Traction control and interior lamps turning on for no reason.

I have a Viper alarm w/remote start and a 1000 watts worth of sound system in the car all professionally installed.

The dealer said they would replace the BCM free if I unhook my electronics first. Please any feed back would help as I REALLY!! hate to unhook my system.. I spent to much money on it!
K&N CAI, Viper security, JL Audio filled interior, Rockford fosgate 12" P3's, 20" Dvinci wheels, ZZP Alt rewire, Optima yellow top Battery, GMPP trailing arms, GM parts Tony Stewart edition grill, 35% tint, Silverstars.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mikerogers.design ChibiBlackSheep mikerogersdesigns ChibiBlackSheep ChibiBlackSheep thismikerogers
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep

aren't optima red tops only good if you don't run a lot of stuff off them?

Daily Driver - 2013 IOM Camaro 1LS | LFX and M6
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Blacksheep, I was under the impression that Red tops were for when you had multiple electronics. I've had stereo systems in just about every car I've owned and I would hate to find out i'm having all this trouble over a battery. I had a yellow top in my Yukon and never had any problems in that vehicle.
K&N CAI, Viper security, JL Audio filled interior, Rockford fosgate 12" P3's, 20" Dvinci wheels, ZZP Alt rewire, Optima yellow top Battery, GMPP trailing arms, GM parts Tony Stewart edition grill, 35% tint, Silverstars.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014

mikerogers.design ChibiBlackSheep mikerogersdesigns ChibiBlackSheep ChibiBlackSheep thismikerogers
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep

I just thought race batteries were for the light-weightness of them, and that you couldn't run a lot off of them?

Daily Driver - 2013 IOM Camaro 1LS | LFX and M6
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012

Send a message via AIM to AwesomeSS

The yellow top Opitma is the one that works the best when running a lot of extra electronics in the car.

2003 Monte Carlo SS: Dynomax Exhaust, U Bend delete, K&N CAI, Graphics
2014 Ford Mustang GT/CS Convertible
Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Good news dealership just called said the BCM is good..maybe an issue with my radio. I didn't know the difference between the two batterys, I just know they cost plenty. The guy at Advance auto parts told me thats the one I need for my setup. Its true you learn something everyday. Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I have a red top under the hood, but a yellow top in the trunk for the 1300 watts of JL Audio . My stereo dealer quit handling Optima batteries because of the quality, and the warranty issues with them. Pushing 1000 watts, I'm guessing you are having voltage issues. The Viper with all it's relays might be causing issues. I think you have several issues going on at the same time. How "professional" is your professional? I know at LEAST one that isn't so professional. Cost me a deck, an XM tuner, an ignition switch, 6 weeks, and several hundred on top of that
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM

I think your right RockinSS.. dealer installed a new BCM ( No Charge,thank GOD) every thing seems back to normal. I return home from fishing and my car is dead. The dealership said the ground on my battery post was loose. Could the strain of the stereo trying to get power from the battery with the loose cable over time fire the battery causing my problems? I've been troubleshooting this thing for a week now. My next move is to replace this battery which I bought new last fall. Any "good" advise anyone?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Tags
2000, aftermarket, bcm, body, carlo, change, control, forum, interior, location, module, monte, stereo, stewart, tony, turn