Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help with replacing oxygen sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Default Help with replacing oxygen sensor

Hello People -

Anyone out there know if replacing the HEATED Oxygen sensor (O2) is an easy thing to do? My "Check Engine" light came on, went to the Dealer and hs said "We need to replace the heated oxygen sensor (I am assuming that's the one AFTER the Catylytic Converter) and fuel filter, plus flush out your injectors". Then he told me it would cost $500 at which point I thanked him and took the car way from him!

NAPA sell the sensor for $75 + fuel filter for $13, and my local Firestone can do the "Fuel Miser" treatment for $60, I can change the fuel filter myself but how tricky is it to change out the heated oxygen sensor (I was told approximately a 30 minute job for a Garage mechanic to change out)?

Anyone know how to? I was told to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes after replacing the sensor, then when I re-connect and start the car up again it should all re-set itself and the "Check Engine" light will not come back on.

By the way, this is for a '97 Monte LS with 70K miles & the 3.1L V6 - any help (pictures, even) would be GREATLY appreciated. What a rip-off from the Dealer though - guess that's what you get (even factoring in $100 for the fuel treatment & filter change, he still wanted over $200 LABOR JUST TO FIT THE SENSOR!)

Thanks Y'All, looking forward to some expert advice!!!

Cheers,

Sacha

Old 03-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Default RE: Help with replacing oxygen sensor

Hello Sacha, welcome to the forum!!!

That sensor should be located before the cat if I am not mistaken. Should be a simple R&R item...

Dealers are great aren't they...lol

TVW