Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help diagnosing multiple issues.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:05 AM
1 Year Member
Question Help diagnosing multiple issues.

Since my last repair help post, I have had few other issues come up. I'm still having the RPM fluctuation issue but this time I have a video of it and I have uploaded it to youtube I will post the link at the bottom. My car has developed a shuddering at certain speeds that they said could be a wheel bearing issue. I went to a transmission shop and had them check it out and they felt that a torque converter replacement wasn't necessary and recommended changing the fluid but warned me that it could cause some other issues. Now that the fluid is changed the car starts to shift hard after warming up. Does this mean that I need a rebuild or replacement? This car is my daily driver and I want to get it fixed I'm just worried about the cost. Thanks for any help! If any more info is required feel free to ask.
Here's the link to the youtube video:

Old 03-03-2017, 02:34 PM

These cars are plagued with the hard transmission shift. Most likely in your case a solenoid or the torque converter is a little dry and has an air pocket. This happened to me when changing my fluid but after about 150 miles it was completely gone. The shift I had wasn't damaging, and slowly went away, so this is something that you must take into account. do not drive a car that is going to hurt itself.

The other and really common issue with the 4t65e and similar transmissions is the shift solenoids, They get weak and shift really hard. feels like a really hard transmission hit. but this is usually caused by not changing the fluids. since you changed your fluids and then are having the issue I would guess that the torque converter has an air pocket or something. not sure of what you could do for this other then drive it and see if it fixes, or take it apart and replace the solenoids. You can judge depending on how hard the shift is. if at any point you think it is going to cause more damage, just buck up and replace the solenoids. they are about 100 to 150 for all of them. not the hardest job if you wanted to do it yourself. you basically take the driver knuckle out and undo a engine mount and you can access the transmission from there. but if you are to do this make sure you fill the torque converter with fluid or you will be in the same spot you are now.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:02 PM

now your fluctuating issue is something different. Most likely something around your throttle body, or air intake. Issues can arise from a failing sensor in your intake/throttle body, or the seal around them. In order to test them you would check the resistance between the contacts and make sure the IAC opens and closes freely. Another issue could be from a clogged fuel injector, they can cause some weird issues along these lines. really what you need to do is go through the intake and test everything and go from there. you can look up the starter fluid trick for find vacuum leaks as it sounds like you have some leak somewhere.

sometimes a professional diagnostic is the way to go as it will only cost you 60 to 100 bucks for them to tell you whats wrong. time is money and if you are not familiar with diagnosing then this is the way to go

Last edited by Aesopin; 03-03-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-04-2017, 07:08 AM

I can't tell in the video if the car is actually changing speed due to the rpm moving. If so I believe Aesopin might be on to something. If not and only the RPM gauge is moving then it is most likely electrical. Possibly a connection. If you have a loose connection to an Ignition Control Module (ICM) it can do this.

Search this Thread