Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Heating up

Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Default Heating up

Hey guys, I think I have two problems here, hopefully you cant help me. I just bought my 95 monte carlo with the 3.4 dohc, love it and want to fix it.

1st problem, the thing is heating up when at idle. It is running coolant, and I changed the thermostat. I noticed only one of the fans is kicking in, but I changed both relay's. The car will actually heat up and then stall. Would only one fan running cause this?

2nd problem, I know the car has a rev limiter of 4000rpm in park and neutral, but mine seems to have the same limiter when driving. Any amount of gas in 1st gear and the limiter kicks in.

I hope you guys can help me out, I'm really looking forward to getting it fixed. Thanks -Ryan

Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds like its SENSOR TIME! does your car have any lights coming on in the dash? i would suggest having it scanned, im sure other members can provide more info on this than i can. good luck getting it fixed, post some pics of your monte when you get the chance.

ps: can i go ANYWHERE without there being at least one other ryan, lol.

i was just thinking, someone rigged my cars fans onto a toggle swich, but a fan not coming on should not cause the car to stall.

for the rev limiter prob, you may just need a fuel filter.

Last edited by skylark65; 07-01-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Urg, I hate the word sensor. Haha, the car was sitting around for about a year, I'm suprised it works as good as it does. I cant complain, I got the car for free

Can anyone point me in the right direction for sensors? I replaced the plugs already, I figured that would be a good start.

Also, I am pretty sure every second child born in the early to mid 80's (from what I have found) are named Ryan lol

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM

just be glad you're not mike/michael! you'd be quadruplets here

Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

haha, yha, i guess it changed to the first born child in the early 90's, lol.

if you got the car for free, your quite lucky. what kind of milage does it have?

i really have not gone into sensor world too far myself, i did a Throttle position sensor on my 3.1, nothing else, but i would suggest doing a serch on differant thread topics on here, your bound to get something.

also, MRL390 has a 5th gen Z34, and knows his car inside and out. try looking for stuff he posts.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM

hmm does it stall when driving? if its just at idle and the car is sittin in one spot then it could b the fan but i have not encountered that yet. as for your car loosing power at 4000 rpm it could b many things. i would also suggest changin the fuel filter if its been sittin around for that long. and who knows if it was ever done b4 that...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM

The car has 180,000 km on it, and I have replaced the fuel filter. New sending unit and fuel pump as well, as that was leaking.

The car only shuts down when sitting for a couple minutes and heats up. One of the two rad fans is working well, the other doesnt seem to come on. Does that come on only if it really heats up?

Thanks for the help guys, so I take it the car actually does make power past 4000 i'm hoping haha

Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM

generally the second fan kicks in sumwhere around 210-220. was there coolant in the car when u got it? if so what color was it? did u flush the system?

as for the car dieing i believe u said that u replaced the plugs for the sake of discussion lets say it isnt the ignition system. have u checked any of the injectors?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM

There was coolant in the system, and I didnt flush it. The coolant is green.

As for the injectors, I havent checked them. I have run injector cleaner through. I have heard of them being bad on these cars, but it seems to run fine under 4000... well, when its not running warm.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Have you thought about changing your thermostat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heating up