Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3 months into my 06 ss ownership

Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Default 3 months into my 06 ss ownership

Hi gang! Well, it's been three months since I traded in my Mazda for my MCSS and so far, I've enjoyed it a lot. I just wanted to share my story so far so hopefully it'll be a good read :p
It's a 2006 Monte Carlo SS in silver. Everything on it is stock. My previous car was a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT.
I enjoy the comforts this car has. The heated seats in the winter time are awesome. It's a lot quieter then my previous car on the highway which makes it nice because I commute 52 miles a day for work. The engine so far has been strong without any hick-ups at all as well as the transmission. I love the exaust in this car. It's not overly loud but theres enough there to enjoy the sound of the v8.
I have been averaging about 19-21 mpg with 80/20 highway/city. I do place the shifter in 3 while driving in the city cause I hate how the exaust sounds like a helicopter in 4 cylinder mode during city driving.
The MC feels like a really heavy car to me. I'm imaging it's because I came from a little go cart of a mazda to a much larger car.
I plan on saving up my pennies and buying a tune, I'm looking at overkill. I think I'll most likely have the DoD disabled. First off, I can't stand it. I hate seeing my rpms jump up and down constantly while driving down the highway. It also butchers the exaust note. I'm getting married saturday(yes 3 days from now) and afterwards, moving on base so my commute will go from 52 miles a day to less then 1 mile. I'll be riding my bicycle to work unless there's inclement weather out so I'm not to worried about any loss in mpgs.
Having owned the car for three months I've found a few things that need some work.
1. My front right tie rod needs replacing
2. Both front wheel bearings are going out and will need replacing within the next couple months.
3. The glue from the dashboard on the passenger side is giving away so the dashboard is seperating from the plastic airbag panel. Not quite sure how I'm going to tackle that one yet.
4. Whenever I adjust the temperature from heat to cold, I get a god aweful ticking/cluncking noise from under the console/radio deck area. I think there's some sort of actuator going out or something.
5. My c/d player refuses to load any c/ds(6 disk player). It also says there's two cd's in there but shows an error if I try to eject them. It's been like that since I bought it. I personally have not put any cds into it, I think it needs to be reset or replaced.

Phew, I believe that's about it. There's a little bit of work there but the car is mechanically sound which is more important to me. I was always concerned about grenading the engine in my mazdaspeed, having the timing chain go out, vvt giving out, etc.
I am enjoying the car so far. The next thing on my list is to have that crappy coolant flushed out and put some prestone in it. After that is a transmission service. The car has 45k on the odo and I have no idea whether it's ever been flushed or changed. I would also like to get my windows tinted. Black leather in Missouri heat/humidity is going to be terrible without tint.
So yea lol. So far so good. My 26th b-day is coming up and the only things on my b-day list are going to be car stuff. cmoooon new tune or tint! I've also been looking into some American Racing rims but I figure I should fix the other stuff first.
Questions or comments go ahead. Thanks for reading

Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 PM

thanks for the good read, i have had my 06 MCSS for about 4 months now and have done an oil change and a tranny oil change.
Other than that, i havent changed anything but am always thinking about what i would do.

just out of curiousity, how can you tell?:
1. My front right tie rod needs replacing
2. Both front wheel bearings are going out and will need replacing within the next couple months.

In my opinion, seems kind of low mileage to have to be making these repairs.

Cheers

Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like over all you did good. When your ready for that tune get the "LEWTUNE" I got one and it's great and no more DOD. Lew is a member here and he does the whole thing by file attachments by internet. YOU will need a tune programmer like Diablo though.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Welcome to the site and congrats.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Looks like u got a pretty good Monte

Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Your monte sounds nice! Welcome to the Forum!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 months into my 06 ss ownership