Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Headlights dead following aftermarket radio/backup camera install

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 PM
1 Year Member

No kidding. That's what started the whole thing, heading out to New Years Eve party the day the stereo was installed. With the running lights working didn't notice until it was dark. Had to drive home holding the bright light lever up, then take another relatives car. Hope for the best, next stop it will be BCM and/or 2nd multiswitch in 1.5 yrs. Also, still need to see why the map lights don't work.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:48 AM
1 Year Member

Well, the dreaded headlight failure has come back, and it's intermittent. Driving for 15 miles on highway holding the multi switch bright light on, then last 2 miles back to normal into garage and fob shut off. Worst possible scenario. Could be bcm, multiswitch, loose wire we couldn't find, some aging related side effect of removing the stock radio. At a loss. HELP

Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 AM

My headlamps do the same thing. I just leave them on low, honestly. My lights DID cut off completely at night, but thankfully came back on before I met the ditch. Be careful!

Old 02-12-2017, 10:53 AM
1 Year Member

May finally be in luck. An auto-electric place had replaced 1 relay about a month ago, and the lights had worked part time. The lights finally stopped working (vs working only when in shop) and my regular mechanic changed out 2 relays (didn't know there were 2), said the other place had used a bad one. Anyway, has worked perfectly for over a week. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 PM

I have this *exact* same problem...I'm on my third multifunction switch in two months and the driver's side bulbs blew out once. Where are these "relays", where can I find new ones, and how hard are they to replace? Seriously. Anyone? Any info at all would be appreciated!

Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by straffin
I have this *exact* same problem...I'm on my third multifunction switch in two months and the driver's side bulbs blew out once. Where are these "relays", where can I find new ones, and how hard are they to replace? Seriously. Anyone? Any info at all would be appreciated!
Sorry for freaking out. Was just so excited that I'd found someone with the *exact* same problem. I found that the part (MasterPro Ignition 4 Terminal Relay, Part #: 2DR1068 Line: MPI) is available from a local shop and it sounds like the relays are located behind the fuse panel to the left of the driver's side of the dashboard. Sounds like fun. :-/

Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 PM

Hrm...just finished reading through this thread as well: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...t-issue-20036/

Sounds like there's more sleuthing to do. :-(

I hate electronics. :-P