Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Has anyone used Seafoam Tranny cleaner? Use or not to Use?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Default Has anyone used Seafoam Tranny cleaner? Use or not to Use?

I have the same problem most have. I have a 2002 SS, shifts hard after 45 minutes of driving. Shifts great when cold. My question is weather to use the Seafoam tranny cleaner or not. When only doing a pan drop and filter change, I wont be getting all the seafoam out. So some of the tranny fluid left in will be thinned. So should a just do a pan drop and filter change or should I use the Seafoam. Has anyone used the Seafoam tranny cleaner? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Hi `Dave,
I can't remember seeing a member post about using Seafoam in their transmission, but check back on your thread question to see if any of our member's have used it... I do life Sea Foam for engines & fuel and several member's have used it and gave good reviews.
Below is what I found on a web search from SeaFoam by one of their tech's...I hope it gives you some insight/infor...Let us know what you decide, and if you use it...
Trans Tune can be used for a pre-service cleaner or can be added to your clean fluid for keeping your transmission fluid clean.Trans Tune is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additive and will not affect hoses gaskets seals or o-rings.Also we are redoing our web site as we speak.Thanks for using Sea Foam Products

Jim Davis
Technical service manager

Using Sea Foam’s TRANS TUNE in Petroleum and Synthetic Hydraulic Oils / Fluids / ATF’s

AS A PRE CLEANER TO SERVICE, and AS AN AFTER SERVICE ADDITIVE

Sea Foam’s “TRANS TUNE” was developed over 30 years ago to fill the Automotive, Marine, Agricultural and Industrial need for a CLEANER of OLD HYDRAULIC OIL RESIDUE and as a SAFE MOISTURE DRIER for systems using these Hydraulic oils / ATF’s / Power Steering Fluids, in both petroleum based and synthetic versions.

TRANS TUNE safely dries moisture (not water, water needs to be drained) by turning moisture back into hydrogen and oxygen, and that needs to be vented to the outside atmosphere!

TRANS TUNE is a 100% Petroleum product comprised of three specific oils, blended in just the right proportions to SAFELY perform its functions in a variety of commonly used petroleum and synthetic based hydraulic oils / fluids such as basic Automatic Transmission Fluids, Power Steering Fluids, marine, agricultural and industrial boom, lift and general purpose hydraulic oil / fluid systems.

TRANS TUNE has a tested KV Rating of 30,000 Volts. This means TRANS TUNE’s use in “special resistance” Hydraulic Fluids and oils (including special synthetics) that are commonly / frequently used in lift and boom assemblies by construction companies, fire department and electric companies, is RECOMMENDED to solve the moisture and old oil residue situations that occur and that eat up otherwise productive “billing or work time”. Sea Foam TRANS TUNE was developed to help minimize these down times by providing a SAFE and EFFECTIVE product for use in ANY Petroleum oil based or Synthetic Hydraulic Oil.

Sea Foam recommends 4 ounces Sea Foam TRANS TUNE for each Gallon of Hydraulic oil/fluid capacity in the VENTED operating system. DOUBLE that for GEAR OILS.

****NOTE: An “average fluid capacity” Automatic Transmission would use 8 ounces TRANS TUNE ( ½ Can), as a pre cleaner for sticky residue before doing service work (with a 30 minute full operating temperature test drive MINIMUM), or as an after service additive to clean / keep clean of ATF residue and dry moisture.

****NOTE: “Average” power steering system would use 1 to 2 ounces TRANS TUNE. A plow system on your pickup truck would use 4 ounces per gallon capacity.

****Most importantly is to use an “average” 4 ounces TRANS TUNE to each 1 gallon Hydraulic Oil / ATF / Power Steering Fluid present in the system being treated.

Technical Services Department
Sea Foam Sales Company

Below is their Site
Sea Foam | Home
Sea Foam Products - the Choice of Mechanics for over 50 years.
Where to Buy - How to Use - Motor Treatment - Gas Engines
www.seafoamsales.com/ -

Old 05-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Someone wrote a write up on how to use the stuff, try using the search I'm sure you'll find it!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Good luck on finding it. I have been searching for days. Otherwise I wouldnt have made a new tread. Anyways I added half the bottle, and I will run it for a week. Then I will do a pan drop and filter change. I will let you know what comes out of it.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 AM

imserious.....Did you even read your reply?? Has nothing to do with Seafoam tranny cleaner. Isnt mention one time in your reply? Seafoam transmission cleaner comes in a different bottle than regular seafoam. Not the same thing. And by my replies doesnt sound like many people at all used it yet.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 AM

Hi `Dave,
Sometimes many of our member's only check in about once a week or more, but to date, it doesn't seem like the ones that have viewed your thread question have used it or wanted to post their experience.

That's why I posted in my above thread the Home Link for Sea Foam. Here it is again.
Sea Foam | Home
Sea Foam Products - the Choice of Mechanics for over 50 years.
Where to Buy - How to Use - Motor Treatment - Gas Engines
www.seafoamsales.com/ -

“The Choice of Mechanics for Over 60 Years"

Products Trans Tune How to Use
How to Use - Trans Tune

Automatic Transmissions

Performing a Transmission Flush
When performing a transmission flush, add ½ can Trans Tune to the automatic transmission fluid before servicing. Drive for at least 30 minutes and run the engine through all gears. Trans Tune will slowly re-liquefy old hydraulic oil residue deposits that can prevent valve bodies, governors, bands, pumps and solenoids from functioning normally. Perform the transmission flush and add ½ can Trans Tune to the fresh fluid to prevent future residue and moisture build up. Trans Tune can also be used with a transmission flush machine.

Controlling Moisture in the Transmission Fluid
To control moisture buildup in automatic transmission fluid, add ½ can Trans Tune to the fluid. After at least 30 minutes of driving, check the transmission fluid for color and clarity. The addition of a high detergent oil like trans Tune may cause the transmission fluid to become dirty sooner than normal as it re-liquefies old hydraulic oil residue deposits and cleans built-up contamination. If the fluid still looks clean then the filter was able to remove these contaminants. When the fluid is dirty, change it.

Addressing Rough and Erratic Shifting Issues by Cleaning Valve Bodies, Governors, Bands and Pumps
To address issues including rough and erratic shifting, add ½ can Trans Tune to the average automatic transmission fluid. Trans Tune is 100% petroleum and will not swell seals or alter the viscosity of the fluid.
Trans Tune will slowly re-liquefy old hydraulic oil residue deposits that can prevent valve bodies, governors, bands and pumps from functioning normally.
After driving for at least 30 minutes, check the transmission fluid for color and clarity. The addition of a high detergent oil like Trans Tune may cause the transmission fluid to become dirty sooner than normal as it cleans built-up contamination.
If the fluid still looks clean then the filter was able to remove these contaminants. When the fluid is dirty, change it. This process can be done either as a pre service cleaning procedure or – if the fluid is clean – as a preventative maintenance procedure.
To flush the system with Trans Tune, drain the power steering pump reservoir and fill with ½ can Trans Tune. Run the engine at least 15 – 20 minutes turning the steering wheel from lock to lock every 5 minutes. This will dissolve varnish deposits and suspend contaminants in the fluid. Next, disable the engine’s ignition and run the return line into a bucket. Use the starter to drain the fluid and to run an additional 1½ cans of Trans Tune through the system. Finish the flush with power steering fluid. After flush is completed, reconnect ignition and return line and fill the reservoir with fresh power steering fluid and 1 - 2 oz. Trans Tune.
Locate your automatic transmission dip stick/filler tube. Remove the dip stick.

Insert an appropriately sized funnel into the filler tube, and add ½ pint of Trans Tune. Replace the dip stick, and drive the vehicle for 30 minutes. Pull the automatic transmission dip stick again and check the color and clarity of the fluid. If the fluid looks substantially dirtier than before the treatment, your transmission filter may be too dirty to filter out the gum and residue that Trans Tune liquefied. In this case, consult with your professional mechanic to have your filter replaced.

General Hydraulic Systems

Controlling Moisture in Hydraulic Fluid
1To control moisture buildup in hydraulic fluid, add 1 pint Trans Tune to every four gallons of fluid at full operating temperature. After at least 30 minutes of operation, check the hydraulic fluid for color and clarity. The addition of a high detergent oil like Trans Tune may cause the hydraulic fluid to become dirty sooner than normal as it cleans built-up contamination. When the fluid is dirty, change it.

Flushing the Hydraulic System
To flush a hydraulic system, add 1 pint Trans Tune to every four gallons of hydraulic fluid to re-liquefy old hydraulic oil residue deposits and suspend contaminants in the fluid. Allow at least 30 minutes of operating time at full operating temperature before changing the hydraulic fluid to allow Trans Tune to clean. Trans Tune can also be added to the fresh hydraulic fluid as a preventative maintenance additive to prevent future residue and moisture buildup.

De-Ice Frozen Hydraulic Fluid
To de-ice frozen hydraulic fluid, add 1 pint Trans Tune to every four gallons of fluid. Tran Tune dries the built up moisture that freezes in low temperatures.

Power Steering Systems

Addressing Noisy Power Steering Pumps by Cleaning and Lubricating the Bearings
To address issues with noisy or whining power steering pumps, remove approximately 1 - 2 oz. of power steering fluid and replace with Trans Tune.
Trans Tune will improve the performance of the pump by cleaning and lubricating the bearings in the pump and controlling moisture buildup. Re-check your power steering fluid level and add as necessary as some of the Trans Tune will evaporate over time.

Flushing the Power Steering System Before the Installation of a New Rack and Pinion or Power Steering Pump
Before installing a new rack and pinion or power steering pump, most manufacturers require you to flush the system first. This process removes aluminum shavings and other contaminants in the old power steering fluid that could damage the new parts. Flushing with power steering fluid alone removes contaminants that are suspended in the fluid but leaves behind any contaminants that are trapped in old power steering fluid residue deposits.

Trans Tune
  • [*]

© 2010 Sea Foam Sales Company. 12987 Pioneer Trail Eden Prairie, MN 55347 - (952)938-4811

[x] close

Thanks IMSERIOUS for try'in 2 help...It's not always easy
4-Sure : ) I fail all the time, but I don't give `up : )

`Dave, I hope it works for you....Good Luck & check back on your thread, and hopefully a member will post if they have used SeaFoam for their Transmission....

Last edited by Space; 05-17-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't use a cleaner in your transmission.

Just drop the pan, change the filter and the fluid and realize that you're probably on borrowed time before you have to do a trans rebuild. Slipping when warm is a good sign on these transmissions that some solenoids are starting to go, etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I would not put an additive in my transmission, but you already did, so don't worry to much about it. Just make sure to do that pan drop and filter change. Depending on how long its been since you last serviced the transmission, you might notice an improvement in the transmissions behavior, for the better. However, if its slipping really bad, I would say start saving for a new tranny...

Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Kidspace. I do respect any help I can get. It just came across that Imserious didnt think I searched for answers first. Maybe its just me. No biggie. Any help is better than no help. Thanks again.