Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gear shift grinding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Default Gear shift grinding...

Sometimes when I go to put my car in gear in grinds an awful sounds. Seems like plastic on plastic but I'm not positive. It doesn't do it all of the time though. I can't even find a pattern to it. It still goes in gear it's just harder to get it there.

Anyone had this problem before?

I also think my automatic window motor is going out. I'm hitting a bad luck streak.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Gear shift grinding...

what kinda car? and if it's grinding... you're probably going to be looking for a new trans soon...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 AM

I really don't think it's the transmission. This grinding is inside the car (03 monte). Like I said, sounds like plastic on plastic.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

What kind of car?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Are you saying the grinding is not necessarily when the car is say shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but more like when you're actually using the gear shifter to go from like reverse, to drive?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Quick way to check is to look and smell your transmission fluid (pull out the dipstick and examine it) does it smell burnt or look brown?
How often do you change your fluid or check it?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 PM

There is nothing wrong with the transmission. This is when I move the shifter from R to D or whatever. It doesn't always seem like it's grinding, just some of the time.

Not the transmission grinding.

And again, it's an 03 Monte Carlo.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Hmmm... Can you tell where the sound is coming from? Is it possible to have the hood open and someone stay to the side of the car while you have the brake and E-Brake on (for safety) and just move it from R to D and back to see where in the engine compartment it is coming?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 PM

Sorry about that, missed the parenthesis. Well, if it's the action of the gear selection lever itself, then it's in one of two places. Either the plastic covering and stuff are interfering, or it's the gear shifting action itself... Only way to find out what's causing it... Removing the center console... Now... I'll admit I've never done this, but from what I understand, even in the 2000-05 years this was a pretty simple process. Search around, I'm sure you'll find a how-to or a write up on it. If it's cable actuated, (which, I believe is the case) it could just be the cable dried up.. Try some white lithium grease or some kind of lube you can get into the cable, Not WD 40... in a high heat application (like in the engine compartment, where it has to go) it will evaporate quicker than some "heavier" lubes (like white lithium grease) Trust me, WD 40 once killed my belt sander. (that booger gets hot, even when lubed well)

Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: allprorock

There is nothing wrong with the transmission. This is when I move the shifter from R to D or whatever. It doesn't always seem like it's grinding, just some of the time.

Not the transmission grinding.

And again, it's an 03 Monte Carlo.
Sorry, I didn't see anywhere in the thread that you had an 03, I guessed I'm blind.

I had that plastic grinding sound coming from under my dash last week.

The dealer replaced some kind of actuator.

Supposedly, there are several of them.

They are made of plastic gears that tend to wear out.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Gear shift grinding...