Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel filter / fuel line. HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fuel filter / fuel line. HELP !!!

Anyone ever use a rubber fuel line where the fuel filter connects ? I am in a bind with an 04 Impala with a leaking fuel filter...

The filter is rusted at the connection and will NOT come loose, I think my only option is to cut the fuel line with a tube cutter, them replace the steel line with a rubber line and install the fuel filter with that...
My question is, how much pressure can the rubber fuel line hold ? How much pressure is going thru the fuel line at the filter ? Do I need to get a "generic" fuel filter because the connection will be for a rubber hose on one end instead of a threaded line?

Please help as I need to get this fixed ASAP...

Or

Do I have to replace the entire steel fuel line from the filter, to the front of the car ? (Providing that isn't rusted as well.)

Thanks for any input in advance, Mjclemm...

Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

You have a couple of options if my memory recalls.
1- Dorman sells a fuel line repair kit (it is a length of metal tube, flared and has the fitting for the stock fuel filter). If I recall correctly, it also comes with a compression union fitting to attach it to the original fuel line.
2- Do what you are thinking. I worked with a guy with that gen Impala, had the same issue. Heck, I had to use rubber fuel hose as a couple for the Dorman repair piece on my old Grand Am. Since the original metal fuel line you are attaching to does not have a flare or nipple to help prevent the line from moving, DOUBLE CLAMP it. As for a filter, you can buy filters that have the "easy off" fitting on both ends, I believe that is the filter you need to clamp your rubber fuel line too.

Basically, if the greater majority of the fuel line is solid (may have surface rust, but it's solid), I'd go the fuel line splice route. As long as the hose you buy is actual rubber "fuel line" you should not have to be concerned with pressure. As I mentioned, use 2 clamps on the line side of the hose. And you should have no problem matching up a filter to fit the job you're doing. As I mentioned, the key part is that the "easy off" fitting is on the one side and you should be golden.

Best of luck, but from the sounds of things, you have a good plan mapped out.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 AM

If you do use rubber, make sure you use a line rating for gasoline above 70psi

Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll go ahead and do it that way (with the rubber hose) ill make sure I double clamp it at both ends for extra safety.. Thanks again, I'll let ya know how it works out.... Mjclemm...

Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Flare the metal line a little so the hose don't blow off under pressure even clamped

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Default Fuel sending unit.

Looking for a little confirmation. Ready to head to work yesterday and noticed the fuel gauge very slow to come up to the proper level when starting my Monte Carlo. Ready to head home and the gauge is on full and stuck there . Almost home and the gauge moved to empty and stuck there! From what I read the fuel sender can be replaced on my 2000 Monte by going thru a trunk access. Anything else I need to consider? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

it will be a whole pump ans sending unit, there is a access door just behine the rear seat in the trunk, unbolt the cover there is the sending unit

Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Flare the metal line a little so the hose don't blow off under pressure even clamped
Thanks, never thought of that.. Great idea !...

Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DarrynSami
Looking for a little confirmation. Ready to head to work yesterday and noticed the fuel gauge very slow to come up to the proper level when starting my Monte Carlo. Ready to head home and the gauge is on full and stuck there . Almost home and the gauge moved to empty and stuck there! From what I read the fuel sender can be replaced on my 2000 Monte by going thru a trunk access. Anything else I need to consider? Thanks.
I replaced mine and it was extreamly easy, just lift the carpet, remove the cap nuts for the access panel, remove the ring that secures it in, then pull out after removing the fuel lines n vapor I believe an electrical connection and bam, it's out, ... Good luck.. Mjclemm...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
If you have access to the flaring tools and it won't disturb the line, a definite plus. If not, a long enough amount of line to sleeve over the metal line and double clamp has worked for people I know in the past.

But again, your idea requires one clamp and done.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter / fuel line. HELP !!!