Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Default Front wheel bearings?

I have a 2002 Monte LS with about 70k miles on it. When driving, it has a rumbling sounds like a bad wheel bearing up front, but I can't tell which side. Is it common for a wheel bearing to give out with this much milege? If so, is it a big job to replace the bearings assembly? I tried rotating the tires with no change, so I don't think it's the tires.

thanks

gary

Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Default RE: Front wheel bearings?

I was wondering about that too. My dad had a 2001 Impala, and he had to put wheel bearings on every 45k! they are a wierd one piece unit, and the whole job cost him 700 bucks. It sounds like what you have is bearings. wonder if they fixed these crap bearings for 03.....I dont wanna put anymore money in this car except for a payment

Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 PM

By wheel bearings your speaking of the CV Joints? Alot depends on the longevity of CV joints. Normally the main CV joint failure is the result of the CV boot cracking/tearing and you loose your grease/lubrication.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:12 PM

When the wheel bearings when out on my mom's 2000 Impala LS (same chassis as monte carlo) it made this nasty rumbling noise as you are describing. After replaceing them, the noise went away completely and the ride actually felt smoother. The bad part about this is that on the newer impalas and monte carlo's, you cant replace the wheel bearings by themselves like old school monte carlos. You have to replace the hubs. Which has the bearings in them. They're kinda pricey and a bitch to install. I got new ones for my mom's Impala on Ebay for a lot cheaper than the O'reilly's wanted for them. It took me a about 3 hours to install both sides. hope this helps........

erik

Old 04-23-2006, 12:51 PM

erik

Yes, the hub assembly is what I should have said. NAPA wants $200 per side for the units. Glad I only have one bad. I can get it cheaper at Autozone, but I've been dissatisfied with the cheaper line of parts lately. Anyway the rumbling sound is getting pretty bad, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and fix it soon. You said it's hard to change. Did you have to use a slide hammer to get it out after all bolts were removed? Also, does the boot around the CV joint have to be removed or unclamped?

thanks
gary

Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Jack up the front end, and gently shake the wheel. If it moves a little, it will be the wheel bearings. It is kind of hard to explain, but like I said, grab the right and left side and shake, then do the top and bottom and see if there is any monement. You might also want to check tie-rods, and boots and eerything, to make sure no boots are cracked.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:37 AM

i have a write up on page 6 of my website. it will cover how to do it for a 96 monte carlo. i know they changed the hub but it should be close to yours. if you can change your rotors then you shouldnt have a problem doing the hubs. its really not that hard of a job. you just need a axle socket and a good wrench and breaker bar.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Bullitt4005

erik

Yes, the hub assembly is what I should have said. NAPA wants $200 per side for the units. Glad I only have one bad. I can get it cheaper at Autozone, but I've been dissatisfied with the cheaper line of parts lately. Anyway the rumbling sound is getting pretty bad, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and fix it soon. You said it's hard to change. Did you have to use a slide hammer to get it out after all bolts were removed? Also, does the boot around the CV joint have to be removed or unclamped?

thanks
gary
Sorry for taking so long to reply, my comp's been down. got it back up this morning.... Anywho, It's not real hard to do em, but it is kinda of a bitch. Take off the wheel, remove the brake caliper and move out of way, remove rotor. Then take off the axle nut, disconnect ABS sensor from back of hub, remove 3 bolts on back of hub/spindle. replace hub, be careful with the ABS sensor wires, make sure they dont get pinched when you put them in thru the spindle. put bolts back on and everything else. make sure you connect the abs sensor. double check work done, just in case. and you're done.....

Old 05-02-2006, 09:38 AM

Spoken like a true blue ASE mechanic.....

And in Htown too.... I know who I am hitting up with major problems.....

Old 05-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks, guys, I got it done. I appreciate the info.

gary

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearings?