Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Flushing/ And Filling Methods

Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Exclamation Flushing/ And Filling Methods

Ok I Have An 2006 Monte Carlo SS, With Bout 26k Miles On It....Livin In Chigaco Area Right Now Winter Is Comin Up And I Would Like To Change Out My Antifreeze, It Is Discolored, Old, And Smelly Anyways Its Bout That Time. Im Not Goin To The Shop Or Dealer And Paying 90-120 Dollars For This To Be Done. So My Question Is...How Do I Change Out My Antifreeze And Flush With Out Cuttin Any Hose For One Of Those Tee Kits. ...............I Was Thinkin Bout Doin It Like This Please Help If You Have A Better Way And Or Quicker.......Drain From Engine Block Both Side And Bottom Of Radiator.......Remove Thermostat (For Better Flush) Keep Housin On, And All Hoses, Put Water Hose In Fill Tank And Leave Running, Turn On Car, And Heater To Max. And Wait Till Clean Water Comes Out, And Put Everything Back To Normal, And Fill With 50/50....I Was Planing On 70/40 Cause Of The Cold Winter Up Here.............................................. .............Please Help Never Done This Before And There Are Alot Of Different Methods That I Have Seen.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM

And Does AnyOne Know Where The Bleed Values Are For This.. If There Are Any

Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Im not sure unfortunately. Try posting this in the engine/trans section. It may get more gearhead eyes.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Default flushing coolant

This is the method for flushing the coolant that I found at ALLDATAdiy.com
Sort of a down and dirty cut and paste job by me but should work to clear out any old coolant for a refill of 50/50 antifreeze (Dexcool)

Flushing

Important: Do not use a chemical flush.

Store used coolant in a properly labeled container. Do not pour used coolant down a drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Do not dispose of coolant into the sewer system or ground water. This is illegal and ecologically unsound.

Various methods and equipment can be used to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used, such as a back flusher, follow the manufacturer's instruction.

When the cooling system becomes contaminated, the cooling system should be flushed thoroughly to remove the contaminants before the engine is seriously damaged.

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir.
  3. Clean and flush the coolant recovery reservoir with clean, drinkable water.
  4. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.
  5. Follow the drain and fill procedure using only clean, drinkable water.
  6. Run the engine for 20 minutes .
  7. Stop the engine.
  8. Drain the cooling system.
  9. Repeat the procedure if necessary, until the fluid is nearly colorless.
  10. Fill the cooling system.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM

In addition to this...I would sugest distilled water for final mix. Use 50/50, it is good for minus 30. Pure anti freeze freezes at zero. Use Dexcool.

Jim

Originally Posted by sportz
This is the method for flushing the coolant that I found at ALLDATAdiy.com
Sort of a down and dirty cut and paste job by me but should work to clear out any old coolant for a refill of 50/50 antifreeze (Dexcool)

Flushing

Important: Do not use a chemical flush.

Store used coolant in a properly labeled container. Do not pour used coolant down a drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Do not dispose of coolant into the sewer system or ground water. This is illegal and ecologically unsound.

Various methods and equipment can be used to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used, such as a back flusher, follow the manufacturer's instruction.

When the cooling system becomes contaminated, the cooling system should be flushed thoroughly to remove the contaminants before the engine is seriously damaged.

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir.
  3. Clean and flush the coolant recovery reservoir with clean, drinkable water.
  4. Install the coolant recovery reservoir.
  5. Follow the drain and fill procedure using only clean, drinkable water.
  6. Run the engine for 20 minutes .
  7. Stop the engine.
  8. Drain the cooling system.
  9. Repeat the procedure if necessary, until the fluid is nearly colorless.
  10. Fill the cooling system.