Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Flashing Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Default Flashing Security Light

I've recently started driving my 99 Monte Carlo again while I park my Stealth for repairs. I'm trying to get the Monte into a good working condition like it was in it's prime.

My security light is flashing; it will flash from the moment it starts to the moment I turn it off. I can start the car just fine and I have no drivability issues. My problem is with my remote start; it worked in the past and now no longer works. I checked all the wires and tested the resistance in the wired bypass setup and it was all good.

I'm wonder if the pass-lock is stopping my remote start from operating (possible?) or if the problem is unrelated. If it is unrelated, is there at least a way to get rid of my persistent flashing problem.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 AM

I don't know if it will help but on my 2001 SS I get the security light from time to time also. But mine eventually will not let you start the car. You can turn on the key and everything else works except the starter. I have found that if I turn the key to just the on position and let it sit for eleven minutes and then turn it off you will be able to start the car. And the security message is gone. Don't know if it will work on a 99 but hey what do you have to lose?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

You can try the security relearn procedure. The security system on these cars can be flaky at times. If you can not get it work, you may have to take it to a dealership, they have the Tech II scan tool. I think is the only one that will interface with the security system to see what it says it wrong.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by enibum
I don't know if it will help but on my 2001 SS I get the security light from time to time also. But mine eventually will not let you start the car. You can turn on the key and everything else works except the starter. I have found that if I turn the key to just the on position and let it sit for eleven minutes and then turn it off you will be able to start the car. And the security message is gone. Don't know if it will work on a 99 but hey what do you have to lose?
It's funny you said "eleven minutes" one of my ex-coworkers had the same problem with his 98 BLAZER and he would have to wait exactly 12 minutes!! lol.. one day at lunch we took it across the street to a alarm/ stereo shop and the tech there told him it was an ignition problem due to having to many keys on his ring, it apparently wore down some switch located in the ignition and that's what causes the security light to come on and your car to become disabled.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys. I've tried waiting 10 min 3 times, I've done 11 min, and 12... The key reset doesn't seem to have an effect. I'm taking out the remote start today (hopefully) and I'll see if that has any affect on it.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

probably your bcm, do you hear a clicking noise coming from under the passenger side dash? if so, you'll probably have to replace your bcm. had the same problem. no drivability issues at all, except it kept making my lights flash from DRL's to lights all the time.