Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Factory stereo sounds awful, not sure why

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Default Factory stereo sounds awful, not sure why

Hi guys and gals! I just bought a 2004 MC, 3.4L. The previous owner apparently had some aftermarket amp/sub installed at one point, but reinstalled all factory before trading it. There is one heavy wire that starts under the hood, and ends in the trunk. There is also a dual pronged RCA type cable in the trunk.

The OEM head unit is operable, but wont pick up any radio signals. Here, Im hoping an antenna wire is just loose. However, when using the cd player, the sound it just terrible. I honestly thought I had 4 blown speakers, so I replaced the 6×9s in the back. This solved nothing, though. There's a point in the **** where it sounds like the volume goes down, despite turning it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really like the car overall, but a non functional radio is a HUGE deal breaker for me, personally. Thank you in advance to whom ever may reply. Im fishing for any info at this point!

Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't see anything mentioned about the factory amp. Does it have one?
It should be located in the trunk on the underside of the rear speaker deck.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM

Indeed plumbob, it has a factory amplifier in the trunk, mounted on top, and its getting power I can only assume. It has 2 plugs, and both harnesses appear to have good connections.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a bit of a "mish mosh" with those cables. They don't sound like the ones the factory installed. Not sure if they're the problem or not, just looking for non-OEM stuff. It's possible the head unit is bad. The amp shouldn't have anything to do with the radio signal I don't believe.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile check the link

here is a link to google that has a few remedies that you may want to check out.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...te+carlo+radio+

Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 AM

Sounds like the RCA cables and the cable from under truck are left from an aftermarket amp they had installed. I would check all the connections at back of radio, and check that factory amp under back dash. I to had some issues when I put mine all back to factory after sombody had mucked with it. I replaced the factory amp with one from a salvage yard and it took care of my issues. I think the person that modded it tried to use the factory for a sub or somthing and blew it.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM

yes id pull the radio and check all the connections 1st. may as well start at the beginning