Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: U Bend

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default U Bend

A lot of people with Monte Carlos say they took out the u bend. What does the u bend even do? And what does it do for your exhaust if you take it out? I'm wanting to make my exhaust louder. Wondering if it might help to do this along with new mufflers maybe

Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok so i went and got an zzp downpipe basically it deleted the ubend. but basically what the u-bend is for is so that it will have room to put the lower o2 sensor but at the same time it constricts flow. there are some downpipes that have a straight pipe that still allows for a place to have the rear o2. now. i will say this downpipe that i do have is louder and i do notice a bit more response but it will be better one i free up the rest of the exhaust system

Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Usually the first step is to remove the u bend, as it is a section of exhaust the restricts the flow of your exhaust. The best method is to purchase the downpipe with a high flow catalytic converter as this eliminates two restrictive parts of your exhaust with one blow. Here is a link to one

ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #ZZ-GPDP

This won't make your exhaust too much louder but you will hear a difference when you push on the pedal. The next step is the power log front header and here is a link

ZZPerformance - Stainless Power Log #ZZ-PLOG

this also helps free the air flow through your exhaust. These are performance related and will increase your cars power band and driving pleasure. If you want a different sound, the possibilities are now open to which type of muffler you want. A non supercharged SS uses a 2.5 inch exhaust so you need to get mufflers with a 2.5 inch opening and outlet. If you are supercharged you need 3 inch exhaust pieces (maybe 3.5 inch I am not totally certain lol). Most members remove the resonator and change mufflers to a free flowing muffler, but keep in mind this will create droning inside the car while driving, so be prepared to handle that as some people have no problem listening to it, while others don't really like it when taking long trips, or if their commute to work is a long one. The resonator removal alone will increase and change your exhaust sound. Also they have options of glass pack resonators that will still be louder than stock, but not create the drone of not having one.

Check out you tube for sound clips of different exhausts that people have put on their car as this will help give you an idea of what you may be looking for and best of luck

Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Forgot to mention, if you change the downpipe you will need to have the p0401 code programmed out of the pcm as it will throw the code. Or you can purchase one of these and have it installed at the same time.

- Angled O2 bung #

But there are people on the forum here that can and will tune your pcm and remove the code, or there are other companies which offer the service such as zzperformance, overkill (I have his tune and love it)

One of the members here by the name of "theManiac" also offers his services and have heard great things about what he does for members. Here is a link to his post on the forum here

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for all of the info. It will help a lot

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is the u-bend. GM claims it helps protect the rear o2 sensor, but look at how much of a restriction that is!!!

GTPDPinstall009.jpg

Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Question

Does the 2.5 inch ZZP downpipe have an 02 bung?

Last edited by johnt671; 10-14-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 PM

My set up is as follows. Front power log removed u-bend ,cat, resonator and mufflers. I added a 2.5 id glass pack in place of where cat was and duel tips. While it does have a loud drone in the car it doesn't bother me and is very loud witch I like. I had my girl follow me down the road from a stop light. I was in her car she was in mine. I pulled out a good 3 to 5 car lengths ahead and had no problem hearing my car. I didnt order any special down pipe or custom exhaust. Just took it to my exhaust guy and told him what I want.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Having the downpipe removed at a shop is probably just as good as buying a downpipe, though the ZZP downpipe does help with flow on the upper end as well. Glad you like the sound you have.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I replaced my DP with a Magnaflow w/high flow cat. It's been on the car for approx. 2.5 years and I have never had the P0420 (or any other code pop up). No O2 simulators, no anti-fowler and not 'tuned out'. IMO if your engine is running properly you won't get a code unless you've done a mod that has altered a voltage signal to the PCM.