Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo SS Wouldn't Start, Now Skipping, MAF Replaced

Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo SS Wouldn't Start, Now Skipping, MAF Replaced

Hi there, I'm hoping someone will have some ideas ...

We have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 with 216,000 miles on it. 2 days ago it wouldn't start, with no symptoms leading up to that. (Other than some roughness that I attributed to putting cheap gas in it) It would turn over but not catch, with the smell of gas everywhere. It was acting flooded. Checked relays, spark, etc, nothing wrong with those. (spark was weak though)

The next morning I was able to get it started finally, with lots of smoke and sputtering. I had to put it in neutral and rev it, then quickly put it in drive and go. By the time I got to the mechanic it had smoothed out somewhat. He checked it and said the computer said mass air flow sensor, so he replaced it.

It starts up and stays running, but still running rough: still skipping, and rpm's are jumping all over even when going at a steady speed. Running it on the highway in cruise it does the best. It protests speeding up (like getting on the highway)

Sunday I washed the engine with the garden hose; a sprayer nozzle was on it. The next day my abs light and trac control light kept going on and off and I couldn't figure out why. The day after that was when it wouldn't start. The mechanic thinks the water might have damaged something, but I've washed my engine before and never had a problem. (I was trying to find the source of an oil leak) He's really not sure why it's still running bad. Spark plugs and wires have gone 100,000 miles so definitely due. All sensors (except maf) are original, most parts are too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pull the hose off the FPR and smell it. If it's wet or smells like gas the FPR could be bad.

Since the car is so old, you really need to just start with the basic tune-up stuff. Fuel Filter, Plugs, Wires, etc

Pull the IAC off the TB and clean it up a little, could be caking up with carbon.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Hey, thanks!

Another question: pulled off the IAC and it was filthy. Cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner and now it's running worse. Sort of unsure where to go from here; I keep throwing money at it (replaced fuel filter few days ago, no difference).

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Ok, so now we have: replaced the iac valve entirely, nothing. Took back to mechanic and he ran the computer on it and said bad tps. Changed out tps. Still running exactly the same.

How common is it to get a bad tps? (Aftermarket, brand was BWD)

Any other ideas? Should I just take it to Chevy to diagnose? Our mechanic ran a complete computer scan, we have compression in each cylinder. Just completely flummoxed.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps the wiring is bad?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM

That's a good point; it would explain why we can't seem to get to the root of the problem. And this morning the battery was dead! (fairly new battery, only about 6 months old)

Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Check the 5v reference circuit and make sure it isn't shorted to 12v.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just to clarify:

When you replaced the MAF,... Did you replace it with a "NEW" or "USED" MAF?.

Maybe..u got a bad 1?

Try un plugging the MAF...then start and drive it....with it unplugged...
If....it runs better...Could be the MAF is bad...

Just a thought...

Id be curious what you find out...or what the fix was....

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

My husband and I are stumped on the 5v reference circuit. Can you explain a little more? We REALLY appreciate all the input. Exchanging the tps today on the off chance we got a bad part, going to try disconnecting MAF, doing plugs/wires this weekend too.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Oh, and to answer your question, the MAF was new, but oddly enough the mechanic said the first one he got was bad so he had to get another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Monte Carlo SS Wouldn't Start, Now Skipping, MAF Replaced