Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Emmisions code caused Check Engine light.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
Default Emmisions code caused Check Engine light.

So, I noticed last week that my CEL came on for no apparent reason and decided to take it to the stealership to get it checked out. A few days passed and I hadn't taken it in yet. On my way home from work one night, I decided to stop in at Autozone for a code read.

The guy plugged in and scanned and came up with "High Volume Emissions Leak." Since I had no idea what exactly that meant, of course my eyes bugged out of my head. He asked me when the last time was I put gas in the car.I told him about 5 days ago (at the time). Then he asked when the light came on.I told him about 4 days ago (also, at that time). Then he had me open the gas lid and check the cap. It came right off.I hadn't replaced it correctly (that's what I get for rushing). He told me to drive around for another day and the code should automatically reset itself. The next afternoon, all was clear.

I just thought it was cool that the electronics were able to detect that the gas cap was not properly replaced.

The moral of the story, KEEP THOSE GAS CAPS TIGHT! 3 CLICKS.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Default RE: Emmisions code caused Check Engine light.

LOL hey at least you found out with out having to pay for it. My father in law got nailed for 50.00 to find that out LOL the check engin light came on for the window washer fluid.
So if you ever get one of thsoe make sure you chek the washer fills and also i know there is anotehr oen but cant remeber what it was.

his car will thow a code for a bad tail lights.

he has since gotten rid of it in favor of a truck LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 09:26 PM

A car cannot throw a check engine light for low washer fluid or bulbs out. A check engine light is set if there is a fault that causes higher than normal emissions levels.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah i've heard of the gas caps throwing check engine lights
even guy's that do emissions tests come in and buy new ones sometimes ...lol

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: InTheIROC

A car cannot throw a check engine light for low washer fluid or bulbs out. A check engine light is set if there is a fault that causes higher than normal emissions levels.
i can prove this fact for ya that is will on your car also unless they have changed it in the )3 model like mine if you unplug the high beam on the car it will throw a code on the DIC. and also flash highbeam out on your dash at you. Everytime you start the car,

His didnt have this type of dash it was just a idiot light and it actually would throw a check engin light for you every time the washer fluid would get low.
The Montana mini van we had did the same thing even for the rear washer fluid resivor