Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

elec question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Default elec question

ive been having this headlight problem. still. ive tested everything. my question is at the lowbeam bulb i have power (12.something volts) at both wires in the harness clip to 1 bulb. is it supposed to have 1 positive and 1 negative or are both wires to the 1 bulb supposed to be positive.

second question is if they are both supposed to be positive and my bulb is not lighting up then i should have a bad bulb. but when i put an ohms meter to it to see if the bulb is passing current threw it . it says that it is so its not a bad bulb

Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 PM

After looking at the wiring diagram for the low-beams, Both wires that go to the bulbs are supposed to be hot. The orange wire goes to the power junction box under the hood. The dark blue wire goes to the dimmer switch on the turn signal stick. When you turn the brights on, the dimmer switch cuts the power to the dark blue wire and transfers it to the high-beam wire. the circuit uses the headlamp as the ground. Have you tried to replace the bulb?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 AM

That's not correct... you can't turn on a bulb with 2 hot wires

Constant power is provided to the headlight low beam on the orange wire, and ground is provided on the Dk Blue wire when the headlights are turned on (thru the multifunction switch and the headlight relay)

If you are not getting ground on the Dk Blue wire (it will appear like +12V when you aren't getting ground), check the headlight relay and the multifunction switch

BBEngineer

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bbengineer
That's not correct... you can't turn on a bulb with 2 hot wires

Constant power is provided to the headlight low beam on the orange wire, and ground is provided on the Dk Blue wire when the headlights are turned on (thru the multifunction switch and the headlight relay)

If you are not getting ground on the Dk Blue wire (it will appear like +12V when you aren't getting ground), check the headlight relay and the multifunction switch

BBEngineer
thanks.
yesterday before i read this message. i put a ground wire into the negative side of the bulb harness clip and they(lowbeams and drls) came on but about half the strength, and dont turn off even with the key out of the ignition. so i ran the extra ground wire through a toggle for now.

ive checked the relay its good but what is the multi function switch? is it the headlight switch or the turn signal?

if i bypassed the issue and gave it a new ground why would they be really dim? not a good enough ground?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM

I had the same problem with my 04 SS Monty. It turned out to be the hi-beam switch or multi-switch on the column. I shot wd-40 in it then pull it back real hard a couple of times and you will get low beams. Switch should be replaced but mine's been good for 6 months now.