Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dreaded Leaking Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Default Dreaded Leaking Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets

Well, it's now my monte's turn to have those wonderful l.i.m. gaskets replaced. It has 86k on the clock, so it's right on schedule that it would start to leak. Thankfully it's just a very slow coolant leak on the outside. I haven't been driving it lately so it doesn't get worse or more messy. Another bad thing is that it's so cold and snowy here, that I won't be able to fix it for a while (i have another car to drive in the meantime). I wish I had a garage to work in.

I've done some research and haven't really come up with much info for the supercharged 3.8's. Would I need to remove the supercharger from the intake? Do I have to remove the injectors? Do you really need to reomve the valve covers? Torque specs? What other things do I need to worry about?

I need to know what parts I need and how to go about fixing this.

Also, I'm gonna change the plugs and wires while I'm at it (they are originals). I might go one step colder since I'll be making it breathe a little better this summer. Probably replace the belts and put a cooler thermostat in too.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, you have to remove the injectors and the supercharger, and the lower intake. There are your gaskets. You might as well do the valve cover gaskets too, it's only a matter of time for them to fail as well.