Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Debris in Power Steering Pump Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Debris in Power Steering Pump Reservoir

So today Murphy's Law struck as I was doing some routine maintenance on our '02 MC. After sucking out all the old power steering fluid, I was preparing to pour in some new Lucas power steering fluid. Just as I was preparing to pour, the conical-shaped cap from the Lucas container slipped out of my hand and, of course, dropped right into the power steering pump reservoir opening. I couldn't have done that on purpose if I tried. I have been unable to get it out. I can't even see it anymore. It was visible at first, but I must have pushed it out of sight. I refilled the reservoir in the hope that maybe it would float to the top and make itself easier to find / remove. No luck so far.

Short of completely removing the power steering pump, a task I'd rather not undertake, does anyone have any other suggestions? Your thoughts on whether possible damage could occur if I drove the car for now with the cap still in the reservoir? I guess it depends on whether the cap could block flow of fluid; I don't know how likely that is.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Maybe use one of those claw thing(see pic) to get into hard to reach places and just keep fishing around till you find it. I dont know what is inside the pump but was wondering if there is anything in there that would just grind it up. good luck and I agree you couldn't have done that if you wanted to.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

^ This ^

That would be what I would try also. It's too bad the containers are plastic instead of metal otherwise you could use a magnet to retrieve the lid.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Cool looking claw tool. Never saw one before. Maybe I'll try to find one.

I think the cap fell down the deeper / narrow section of the reservoir. I fished around for a long time with a coat hanger with no luck. Frustrating to say the least.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Do you have an AutoZone near you? It says special order so you'll probably have to pay for it then pick it up later, or maybe check out other part stores in your area.

OEM/4 prong claw flexible shaft pick up tool (25291) | Magnetic Pick Up Tool | AutoZone.com_

No offense, but it's refreshing to see that Mr Murphy messes with other people too rather than just me. My luck would have been the same as yours...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks, Mike. There is an AutoZone in town. I'll check it out.

Not to worry... Murphy isn't neglecting others to pay sole attention to you. He's been alive and well in our garage far too often lately.