Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dang Passlock Security System

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Dang Passlock Security System

doesn't like me. I jokingly say that it works too well because sometimes it won't even let me start it but in all seriousness I need to get it fixed. Went to move it this morning to give it a bath and it wouldn't start.Turned the key to on it, it was flashing "security", left it there about 10 minutes and it stopped flashing and held steady, started right up then. I'm afraid one day it may decide not to start again.

It's my understanding that the ignition cylinder and passlock gizmo are all together and can be changed basically like replacing an ignition switch. Is this correct? Then you have to do the "key on" thing for three cycles to get the computer to relearn the key(?).

I'm going to call the dealer and find out the cost of the part and also how much they charge to do the labor. If it's not REAL bad, I'll just pay them to do it and not worry about it. But if it's ridiculous, hubby and/or son my be nominated for the jobIF it's just like changing the ignition switch.

What I need to know is, what do I ask for when I call for the part?
Of course all this will have to wait a bit until we recover from the truck repair bill we're facing this week.

Thanks guys (and gals).

Old 09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Dang Passlock Security System

[align=center]Hi `Becky,[/align][align=center]The below information is from MSN Auto`s Monte Carlo Problem[/align][align=center]area`s. It is a estimate on what a Dealer would charge : ([/align][align=center]I know several MCF members have replacedthe lockthemselves, but [/align][align=center]I have not been able to find their post.[X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I hope they read your post, and respond.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, and Fast Starts : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing Assembly, which causes a problem in the Theft Deterrent System. The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder Housing is estimated at $289.65 for parts and $104.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or applicable taxes.[/align]

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Photobucket

Thanks Space. I don't need any diagnostics, I already diagnosed it, LOL. They'll probably try to charge me for it anyway.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM

Becky. The prices vary depending on where you are at. My dad got me a passlock sensor for my '05 Malibu Classic for $110 and they run about $190 at his dealership. The ignition cylinder is inside the passlock sensor and they are a cinch to replace. When you order a passlock sensor you will get a new ignition cylinder too. All you need to replace is the sensor. I may or may not be able to post photos from my malibu passlock sensor replacement. We'll see.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Photobucket

Thanks Ryan. Pics would be great if you can get post them.
I'm guessing with just the sensor, the relearn will still need to be done (?)

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM

same thing happend to me,check your battery terminals and make sure they are nice and tight,before you go to the dealer and get raped.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Photobucket

Tight and clean.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Photobucket

Is this what I need? http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...21&PTSet=A

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM

That is what you need. However, you will not need the cylinder. The passlock sensor comes away from the cylinder and you can replace just the sensor. The security relearn is nothing you haven't done before. ) All you do is let your car site for 10 minutes with the key in the "on" position and then cycle off and then start. I'll get pics up asap.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Photobucket

Goody, goody, no stealership visit!! I wasn't sure I could get it from a parts store and while searching the net I found a Grand Am forum (lots of passlock problems there, one thread is 40+ pages long)and someone there mentioned getting theirs from a parts store, I thought it was going to be a dealer only thing. Auto Zone had one for about $40 less but didn't have a pic, but I HATE going in there, they either treat me like an idiot or don't know what they're talking about (on the things that I do know), so I may pay the difference and go to Advance.
Thanks

I just thought of something, if I did change the cylinder too my key wouldn't fit the door and I'd have to carry both (not that I ever use the key to open the door anyway, I always use the "clicker", don't want anymore scratches).

Quick Reply: Dang Passlock Security System