Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Crank but no Start and Dash Cluster problems

Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Crank but no Start and Dash Cluster problems

Hey MCF. For months now my 2000 MC SS has been cranking but not starting after I have been driving it. I've had my viper alarm removed. A new PCM and BCM installed. The engine wire harness and starter replaced and I am still having this issue. My mechanic could not remove the crank pulley to change the crank seal and crank position sensor. Now today I noticed as I was driving the gauges on the dash would go to zero as if the car was off think click back on. Then while I was waiting in the drive thru at Wendy's she stalled on me and would not start again I pushed her out to the parking lot. When the she started up again I noticed the "Security" light on. Any suggestions MCF?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:40 AM

might be the ignition switch....and or the ignition lock cylinder...my guess is the lock cylinder but may as well replace both if that's the issue. both parts can be had aftermarket for under $100

Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sharpeezss
might be the ignition switch....and or the ignition lock cylinder...my guess is the lock cylinder but may as well replace both if that's the issue. both parts can be had aftermarket for under $100
I second that. Ignition switches have been a real problem lately as our cars age and contacts in them get dirty or corroded.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 AM
Default stalls...

just a thought, have you checked fuel pressure both when hot and cold? could be fuel pump heating up and cutting out, then when it cools off it starts again, that would be why it starts good when it's cool and problems when it's hot

Search this Thread