Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

coolant elbows

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default coolant elbows

Hello,all.Ive got a 99 Z34,3800 needing the elbows I think. The rad has been replaced recently and still a leak is going on. Ive not worked on this car much,never had to til now.Has 150,xxx mi but runs great. Is the elbows a PITA to do? If its possible I would like to find a writeup on this.Will also be changing valve cover gaskets,too.My parts guy told me the belt tensioner has to come off for the elbows and the VC gaskets.Anything else?I appreciate any feedback. Muley

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 AM

Most people here recommend changing the coolant elbows when replacing the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets which I do believe you have to tear it down to that point to change the coolant elbows anyway. There is probably a guide here somewhere on how to do it, but i recommend buying a repair manual on your car from the local parts store they always come in handy.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Changing the coolant elbows is a cake walk, about 30 minutes (maybe 60 minutes for a first timer). Remove the belt, remove the alternator, remove bolts that hold the alternator bracket/tensioner bracket in place, gently rock/slide that bracket out and there are the elbows. Make sure ALL the elbow is removed. When they go bad, part of them stays in the LIM (it's easy to remove, I usually use a flat head screw driver, you gently tap it and the remaining piece rotates and you can then grab it with some needle nose).

The 3800 originally had 1 plastic elbow, the second one was cast aluminum that was part of the bracket you remove. I've seen one that the aluminum sheered, hence why I think they now use two elbows.

As far as tearing down to the LIM, if you were to go that far, you still need to remove the fuel rail, a bunch of different brackets and the UIM. You might be a quarter of the way to tear down for LIM gaskets when changing the elbows. You may have to remove some extra brackets to get to the valve cover gasket.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.The lim/uim have aiready been replaced.I dont know if the elbows were replaced at that time and my brother doesnt either. I got the car from him.He said the local stealership did the work,they may not have replaced the elbows.As before, thanks again for the info.BTW,I have a manual (Chiltons). Havent found anything on the elbows yet. Muley

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If you are handy with doing wrench work, just dive into it. Start with removing the belt and the alternator. Once those are out of the way, you should EASILY see at least one elbow. And I'm certain somewhere here on MCF is a write up.

BTW - When having LIM and UIM gaskets changed, one of the gasket kits just includes new O-rings for the coolant elbows. I've advised since the elbows are $5-$10, just get a new set (odds are they are as bad as the LIM gasket or they will break during removal).