Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

changed brake pads and now brake light and trac off light are on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Default changed brake pads and now brake light and trac off light are on.

So I just spent hours replacing my front brake pads on my 2000 Monte Carlo SS and drove around, slowly stopping like I'm supposed to but when doing this, because I'm driving in tucson where nobody knows how to drive, I had to hit the brakes kind of hard, after which I noticed my brake light and trac off lights on the dash were on. I parked and looked them over but they seem to be fine, they even brake normally from what I can tell. I don't really know what to think about this, it seems ok to me. I didn't have enough time to change the rear brakes, though. Could the light be on because the rear pads are too low? What should I look for when it's light out tomorrow?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by matthew41
So I just spent hours replacing my front brake pads on my 2000 Monte Carlo SS and drove around, slowly stopping like I'm supposed to but when doing this, because I'm driving in tucson where nobody knows how to drive, I had to hit the brakes kind of hard, after which I noticed my brake light and trac off lights on the dash were on. I parked and looked them over but they seem to be fine, they even brake normally from what I can tell. I don't really know what to think about this, it seems ok to me. I didn't have enough time to change the rear brakes, though. Could the light be on because the rear pads are too low? What should I look for when it's light out tomorrow?
My first thought is that the wheel speed sensor is loose or not sensing. That would make the traction light come on.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you had to recompress the caliper...
Before you drove off to test them...
Did you pump the pedal a few times to be sure the brake pedal was off the floor.
Is there any brake fluid leaks anywhere?

Was the light on before you replaced the brakes?

My suggestion...
Check the codes to find out exactly what the problem is...
You should be able to go to any auto parts and have them scan it for codes.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 AM

I checked and there were no leaks and I made sure to pressurize the brakes before getting on the road.