Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): car will not start after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[QUOTE=The_Maniac;676359]I don't think that is true, I'm fairly certain that data is stored in a re-writable flash prom.

Jason. Thanks for the education on the data being saved w/o retained power. Sorry for going off topic but I'm pretty sure a BCM is not re-writable. As I understand it, it's like a formatted SD memory card. I learned this the hard way. I recently replaced a BCM and programmed it with my Tech 2. At the beginning of programming the Tech 2 asks for some questions about options to be answered. I messed up on a couple answers.
1. "Is vehicle equipped with optional supplemental restraints". Since it had air bags I said yes, but they meant "side" air bags which the car did not have.
2. "Is vehicle equipped with an upgraded radio?" I said no, but as it turns out "Anything other than a base model AM/FM radio is an upgrade.

When the Tech 2 finished programming the display first read "Programming Completed Successfully", but then it changed and said "An error occurred during programming".
I started over to program again but the display read "This BCM is Secured". So I'm pretty sure you only get one chance to get it right and a BCM is not re-writable.

Last edited by plumbob; 11-04-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have been going through lots of data from online, in the GM shop manuals and playing with the TechII about BCMs and EBCMs in conjunction with a project for my Grand Am (trying to see if I resurrect a feature GM introduced in the 99 Grand Am and also scrapped in the 99 Grand Am, but kept in the sister car the Alero until 2003).

I know the secured mode you mentioned, that happens after a blank/new BCM is put in and the VIN/mileage/car program is loaded. In the case of my Grand Am, I actually have settings in the BCM I can change with the TechII (US/Canada, Manual Trans and if the car is equipped with keyless entry). Also, since the mileage is stored in the BCM as well as the cluster, it has to have some type of re-writable memory.

This is my I.T. experience talking... I sometimes wonder if that Secured Mode is just in the programming of the TechII (such as if the TechII finds a VIN on the BCM, can't do initial programming for concerns of tampering). Since re-manufactured BCMs (which require programming) are sold, makes me wonder if there is a way (with something other then a TechII) to "blank" the BCM and make it look like new (or do they have to replace a chip as part of the re-manufacturing process).

With everything I have, I think I can resurrect that feature in the Grand Am (but I would need a blank BCM I can do the initial programming and buying that is more then I am willing to spend on that feature, I wish I could just get a junk yard unit, but even the TechII cannot re-flash my mileage to keep it correct).

Eh, sorry, I too drove this off topic, but only because a non-Mote side project has driven me nuts on the topic of BCMs lol.
Odd piece of info, I found the 4th gen F-body guys have been repairing their BCMs!! They are finding bad solder joints to be the culprit for the behavior. If this is all BCM failures, a big part of this was the electronics industry going to lead free solder for environmental safety reasons (which works, just not as good as the old stuff). It's NOT a GM thing per say (heck, I had a Sony receive with issues due to a few heat weaken solder joints).

Ugh, ok, I'm done with the off topic (granted, anywhere I can get pieces to bring me closer to possibly completing that Grand Am project without having to buy a blank BCM has my interest lol).

Old 11-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you checked for voltage at the fuel pump?

The no lights, no power thing is rough. Check grounds and connections at the battery. Or a BCM problem.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member

Ok guys the bypass module didn't do a damn thing. I hooked up a Friends scanner and check all the modules. BCM gave me a U1000 Loss of class 2 serial communications in the current faults. In history it gave me several codes. I cleared them all and u1000 came back. I then proceed to the pcm and could not link up to it. I've checked and replaced cig lighter fuse. Still no fix I've tried my original pcm my 1st tune pcm and 2nd tuned pcm from zzp and no luck. Could it be that the pins on a 04 monte carlo ss supercharged is different from what I need for my 2000 monte carlo thanks. It's not a security issue it's communication with the pcm I believe.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member

The u1000 code is stored any time the PCM or BCM is unplugged. It is registered as history or current. I believe since you have the original BCM it is not recognizing the new PCM because the VIN and / orcalibration IDs do not match the old information stored in the BCM. Pretty sure you need to get a new BCM and Program it with a Tech 2. Since the new BCM will be blank it will automatically capture the information on the new PCM. Some option information will need to be entered through the tech 2, then you will need to do a security relearn. I've done this 2 or 3 times with stock Monte's. Programming with a different engine other than what it came with from the factory may be a little different. Maybe the maniac can chime in here and add his expertise.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I don't believe he should not have to do anything with the BCM unless the BCM actually failed. The BCM should contain the correct VIN for the car (people have made these engine swaps before and never changed the BCM).

But, the VIN in the PCM can be reflashed by anyone with a supporting tuning tool (DHP PowrTuner or HPTuner). Just update the VIN stored in the PCM to the VIN matching the car (and the PCM) and perform the security relearn (can take 30-60 minutes for the relearn). Some scan tools can read the VIN stored in the PCM, so you might be able to check that out and see what VIN is on the PCM.
I've used donor PCMs in my cars a few times and updated the VINs, no issues after a security relearn.

Attached is data I found on PCM connections for a 2000 Monte with a 3400 vs a 2004 Monte with a 3800. I don't have the time to compare the two.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Monte-2000-3.4.pdf (82.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf
Monte-2004-3.8.pdf (67.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Not trying to hi jack your post, but what link did you use to wire your PNP?

was it this one? Wiring a external PNP switch to an internal PNP transmission - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

I`m trying to follow this one but the wire colour don`t match, so I`m afraid to start cutting up the harness and connect everything wrong

Old 11-20-2015, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member

Yeah I used that one and colors didn't match up on mine but I did it anyways. My gear selector works fine. The pins removed from my harness did not have a pin to connect to on the transmission single connector

Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member

Ok I'm back at it since I got my gtp going good. I took some pictures of the harness connector near the battery .

The blue harness is the original harness that was and is in the 2000 monte.
The orange harness that doesn't match up is in the car currently from a 2004 monte carlo ss supercharged.

The harness that matches up is out of a 2000 impala 3.8l n/a.

Now the impala harness will not match up to the fuel injectors and a couple of other sensors. My question is does anyone have the pin readouts for the connection for a 2000 monte carlo and a 2004 monte ss supercharged. I think it will be faster for me to re-pin this connection. Or what's your thoughts? You guys think this could be my problem

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160126_110618.jpg (1.35 MB, 10 views)
20160126_110650.jpg (1.35 MB, 5 views)
20160126_110603.jpg (1.46 MB, 6 views)
Old 01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member

Hey MB.
Here's the end view for connector C112 from the '00 Monte/Impala factory service manual, apparently it's the same for either 3.8L (SS) or 3.4L (LS) for both since the book doesn't differentiate as it does for other connectors. Spacing on the pins is a little different. Let me know if you need a different one.
Sorry, don't have one for the '04 SS Supercharged.

Attached Images