Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

car dies and starts and dies and starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Angry car dies and starts and dies and starts

so let me give the senario i was drivin to lunch well sitin at a light and my car just shut off not like sputter and die but like the key got turned off i tried to start it back up and it wouldnt start so i call the tow truck anfter like 20 min of waitin i decide to try again and sure enough it starts like there is nothing wrong with it so i drove like 2 blocks no issue then while i am driving it shuts off again .... again no sputter and die but like i had turned it off but i didnt and even b4 i came to a stop completely i put it in Nutral and it started right back up with no problem... in the last 3 or 4 months it has happened to my wife as well she just never told me about it til i said something today... has anyone else had this issue if so have they resolved it i took it to the dealer and the had it for about 4 hrs testing everything from compression to timing to fuel pump fuses and ignition cylinder said ther is nothing wrong but i can say there is it just wasnt doing itwhen it was at the shop so any ideas would be great or should i just wait for it to happen again and not do anything just have it towed and see if it starts when it gets to the shop...

Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 PM

I'm wondering if the gear selector switch is malfunctioning??? Just an idea

Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 PM

Check your connections to the battery as well. I hope it is this simple!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Check the connections in the battery. I have to think if the gearshift switch was messing up, I dont think you would be able to get the key out of the ignition.
But it really sounds like you have a loose terminal, check that first, then if its not that, check the ignition switch or whatever its called(the thing you put the key in to start the car LOL)

Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM

checked the battery and connections no problem there ... some more information right after it dies it will crank fine it just sounds like it isnt firing is there any way that my car computer could be telling the fuel or ignition to stop?? i have had my security light come on before but it turned off right after i shut off the car and it started fine right after an hasnt came on since

Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

O2 sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor are my guesses. Start the car, let it warm up and idle. If it sputters/cuts off, unplug the MAF. If the car has the MAF unplugged and it idles fine, you need a new MAF.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Try what nitehawkjcb suggested in unplugging the MAF sensor.

I had a similar issue and it was the crank position sensor.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM

so i un pligged the maf sensor and it said service engine soon... i just replaced the 02 sensor when my check engine light came on...and it has never idled bad it just shuts off then you wait a coupla min and itll start up just fine. so what i am wondering is if it couldbe my computer going bad and the security cutting off the fuel or spark is this a logical thought or am i just grabbing at straws at this point

Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Of course the SES will come on, it's not getting a MAF reading.

When was the last tune up done? Fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, etc?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM

My car died like that one day. It was the MAF sensor. Somehow it came unpluged. Killed the engine just like you said. I hate electrical gremlins like that. So many sensors and many of them will leave you stranded if they fail. The most unbelievable part of your story, however, had to be the part were you said that the car died out on your wife, and she never mentioned it. Man, I would have heard about that immediately if it was my wife!

Quick Reply: car dies and starts and dies and starts