Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Cannot put car into park (or go from park)

Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cannot put car into park (or go from park)

Hi,
I am new here and just recently purchased a 2005 Monte Carlo LT (with 18k miles). I love the car but last night I had an issue putting the car into Park when I stopped. I could only go as high as reverse. I ended up having to pop the shifter cover off, and wedge a screwdriver under the shifter to push down a metal piece in order to get my car into park and pull the key out. I this a common issue with these cars? It seems like when I step on the brake, the solinoid is not engaging so that I can put the car into Park. How difficult is this part to repair/replace? Where can I get it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pete

Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Hi Pete,
Sounds like a bad solenoid or bad connection....I also think there is a fuse for this ?
Possibly a brake-shift interlock acting up? This prevents shifting from park until you press the brake pedal. Usually you can hear the solenoid click when you press the brake pedal (while the engine is on and the vehicle in in park).

There is always a work around for a malfunctioning brake-shift interlock. It is explained in the owner manual. You find the access flap on top of the steering column, flip it open and depress the manual switch to release the solenoid.

Good Luck, and check back on your thread question to see what one of our expert tech's post....

More infor (Found on the Web)
The solenoid you are referring to is called the A/T Shift Lock Control Solenoid, It is supplied power by the brake switch until the brake pedal is depressed and the BCM body control module grounds it when it "sees" transmission in park.
You will need to verify this with a voltmeter, the Green wire comes from the Brake switch it should have voltage without brake pedal being depressed with Ignition switch in run. When the brake is depressed it should lose the voltage. It is a spring return when voltage is lost. So the solenoid should release. Make sure brake switch cuts voltage. If it does your son is correct it will need a solenoid.
The automatic transmission shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:
• The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid• The automatic transmission shift lock control switch• The body control module (BCM)• The powertrain control module (PCM)
With the ignition in the ON position, battery positive voltage is supplied to the automatic transmission shift lock control switch. The circuit continues through the normally-closed switch to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid. The BCM provides a ground for the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid when the transmission is in the PARK position. The BCM receives the transmission gear position information via class2 serial data from the PCM. This causes the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid to energize and lock the shift lever in the PARK position. When the driver presses the brake pedal, the contacts in the automatic transmission shift lock control switch open. This causes the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid to release. This allows the shift lever to move from the PARK position. The BCM turns off the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid ground circuit when the transmission is out of the PARK position.

Last edited by Space; 08-16-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cannot shift into Park (or from park)

Thanks for that detailed info.
Unfortunatly, there is nothing in the regular manual about a manual release. I have read it inside and out. It mentions how the auto trans lock feature works, but not how to override it. Maybe the service manual (which I just ordered last week, ironically enough).
When I press the button on the shifter handle, the plastic lever under the shifter moves down but not enough to be able to pop it from the Park position. I have to stick a screwdriver under it and bend the plate down to move it.
I checked the fuses and all are good. Brake lights are working fine as well. I will check to see if the solinoid has voltage later this evening when I get out of work.
If it DOES have voltage, then the solinoid is bad, if it doesnt, then the switch would most likely be bad, correct?
-Pete

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM

...Hi `Pete,
Check back on your thread to see if one of our expert tech member's can assist with your problem & makes a post...
I can't recall any member having this problem, but `if they have, I am sure they will post their resolve & what they did to correct/fix the problem...

We have Super Member's with a lot of knowledge, but some don't get a chance to check all the posts everyday....

Wish you good luck on fixing your problem, and we hope to see more of you on the forum & hear the good things about your Monte Carlo : )
Peace/Out

Old 06-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by peteygnyc
Hi,
I am new here and just recently purchased a 2005 Monte Carlo LT (with 18k miles). I love the car but last night I had an issue putting the car into Park when I stopped. I could only go as high as reverse. I ended up having to pop the shifter cover off, and wedge a screwdriver under the shifter to push down a metal piece in order to get my car into park and pull the key out. I this a common issue with these cars? It seems like when I step on the brake, the solinoid is not engaging so that I can put the car into Park. How difficult is this part to repair/replace? Where can I get it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pete
You're steppers are bad too, warranty till 75,000 miles