Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'87 SS - Starting Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Default '87 SS - Starting Trouble

Well, I'm stumpped! I just gone done putting a replacement engine in my '87 Monte SS, and I'm now having trouble getting it to start. The problem seems to be electrical, but I can't really figure it out. The car starts fine when I have the battery charger on it, and runs great once I get it started!, but for some reason it'll only start when the charger is on.

I've replaced the battery, thinking that was the problem, but the new one does the same thing. The strange thing is, all the other electronics work, lights, radio, horn, alarm, etc... but it won't turn the starter without the car charger! I'd change out the starter, but the starter seems to work fine with the charger on it.

My thought is that for some reason, the starter is pulling more amps than the battery can supply, the car charger picks up the slack, and allows it to start. Could it be that I have something shorting out? I'm at a loss, so any help you can provide would be really apprciated! I really wanna drive this thing!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Default RE: '87 SS - Starting Trouble

sounds like a loose connection to me. check the tightness at the starter and battery and check the tightness of the clamps themselves

Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Check to make sure all your Grounds are tight and clean. double check all wiring from the batt. to the starter. What did you put in? 350? use the same starter? What else did you change.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Maybe check to see if your starter is adjusted too tight against the flexplate.I dont think this would make your car not start altogether, but it could definately cause more load on the starter ifthe gear meshwas REAL tight.How does the starter sound when you start it with the battery charger on it?

Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 PM

The starter sounds great when it works. Sounds like it's spinning quick, and turns the motor over with little effort. I actually put another 305 back in it. The original spun a rod bearing, and I had a spare 305 from a previous accident.... The starter is the same one that came off the car, I had replaced that a few months before taking the car off the road. However, the car has been sitting for awhile (a year) so I don't know if something could have seized up in there? Like I said, the starter works great when it works... it's just getting it to work that's the issue. - Could it possibly something be wrong with the solenoid, not the actual starter?

Old 11-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Ok you can try this: Start the car up with the battery charger, remove the battery charger, and let the car run for about 5 minutes. Then shut the car off, andimmediately try to start the car up without the battery charger on it.

Here's my thought behind this: There could possibly be a parasitic drain on your electrical system. After it sits for a while, this could cause enough drain on the battery to make it not start. It could have enough left in it to power your lights, stereo, etc, Just not enough for the large strain of the starter motor.

If this is in fact the problem, the alternator should be able to charge it enough in the 5 minutes you let it run for, and it should start right back up.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 PM

Sounds like a timing issue. Start the engine and check to see what your timing is set at.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Pineapple

The starter sounds great when it works. Sounds like it's spinning quick, and turns the motor over with little effort. I actually put another 305 back in it. The original spun a rod bearing, and I had a spare 305 from a previous accident.... The starter is the same one that came off the car, I had replaced that a few months before taking the car off the road. However, the car has been sitting for awhile (a year) so I don't know if something could have seized up in there? Like I said, the starter works great when it works... it's just getting it to work that's the issue. - Could it possibly something be wrong with the solenoid, not the actual starter?
Hi Dan,
If you starter is binding, it can take the extra energy of a batterycharger
to crank the engine. How tight did you torque the bolts ?
Since your car sat for awhile, I would also have your solenoid tested,
to make sure it isn't sticking : (
Trial & error....Don't give up
Did you add anyshims when you reinstalled your starter ?,They can be shimmed as much as .060. Also look at the condition of your starter drive teeth and those on the flywheel, you might have a bad section with a few chewed up teeth, and this would bind the starter, requiring more power to start.. Could your New Battery, be a bad one ? That can happen : (
Does your starter motor get `hot...after running ?
Wish you good luck on resolving your problem.
Please keep us updated.