Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bad Brakes/Rotors = Traction+ABS light problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Default Bad Brakes/Rotors = Traction+ABS light problem?

So i just recently noticed that my rotors are very grooved in the front of the MC and have recently heard a grinding metal on metal sound when I brake. So Im replacing the pads and rotors this weekend. Was wondring if yall think that this could be the problem with my ABS and Service Traction System to come on

Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM

first i would check the brake fluid just to make sure it's full. it could be a wheel speed sensor/wheel bearing gone bad, or an issue with the abs module. take it to a place that scans for free. lots of parts stores like pep boys will scan for free. then let's say if it's a bearing/wheel speed sensor, you will have to replace the whole wheel bearing/hub assembly cuz the sensor is inside the bearing assembly.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drewskie043
first i would check the brake fluid just to make sure it's full.
Low brake fluid will set off your Trac OFF light, and your red Brake light. Not your ABS light.

Originally Posted by drewskie043
it could be a wheel speed sensor/wheel bearing gone bad, or an issue with the abs module. take it to a place that scans for free. lots of parts stores like pep boys will scan for free. then let's say if it's a bearing/wheel speed sensor, you will have to replace the whole wheel bearing/hub assembly cuz the sensor is inside the bearing assembly.
Reading ABS codes requires a special tool, and most places won't actually scan / can't scan that for you. It would require going to a dealership and paying them the $45 for the diagnostic code reader. But I do agree it probably has to do with your wheel hub assembly. If you get it done by the dealership they will charge about $300-$400, if you buy the part yourself and install it in your driveway (if you are comfortable with rotor work) should only cost about $60-$80

Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM

i don't know what kind of scan tool pep boys and the other stores have, but when i diagnosed the bad wheel bearing on my grand am, i used a scan tool at an independent dealer (i knew the guy that owned the place) that had the ability to scan engine AND abs codes. it all depends on the scan tool...

long story short, try to find a scan tool that does BOTH (or at least the abs obviously) and you should be able to read the code just fine. maybe you might know of a mom and pop type dealership that would let you use their tool for free.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM

15 Year Member

right, you can't just find the standard OBDII scanner and expect it to read the ABS codes.

You are lucky to have found someone to do it for free. I know I get stuck having to use my dealership. I mean it's cheaper for them to use the tool, tell me which hub, charge me $45 and then me go fix it.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Default Help!

I replaced both front wheel hubs last year, my Monte sounded like a airplane. Worked ok till this weekend. I took the car to get the tires balanced and rotated. All of a sudden my steering wheel is cocked, the car is vibrating more than before and the Service Traction System message is on. Will the scan tool diagnose all four tires? Is there a speed sensor on the rear hubs? Maybe one of my tires is loose. Going to check the brake fluid, jack up the car, and do a inspection today. Will report back. Notice this thread is kind of old. Hope y'all still check it. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM

15 Year Member

Sounds like the place that did the balance screwed something up.

Yes there are sensors in the rear hubs too

Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 AM

hay black sheep some times it will set the abs and the break light as well. my silverado set off both when my rear caliper started to leak a little fluid. but i am not sure about the rest of the chevy line up will do the same.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 AM

15 Year Member

When you are low on fluid, the Brake and ABS lights will turn on, I said that in my previous post. Having a leaking caliper = loss of fluid = those lights.

The thing is that the BRAKE light will never come on for just a hub assembly. There has to be another problem if you see that light

Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 AM

Hey, thanks for the tips. I have not done a full check, but did manage to look at a couple of things. Kids keeping me busy! The brake fluid is good. It is a little under max. The wheels are not loose. So what happens is the service traction system message comes on. That turns off the traction and the ABS. I when I drive the car sometimes the message will come on immediately, and sometimes not. When it doesnt, I will turn off the traction control. The message will come up anyway. Seems like one of the hubs is not reading. Going to look at wires and hubs this weekend. If I don't see anything, I might take it to the shop to get it scanned. $50. Thanks for your help, will report once I look at it.

Quick Reply: Bad Brakes/Rotors = Traction+ABS light problem?