Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 monte coolant issue

Old 03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Default 2000 monte coolant issue

Have a 00 monte that runs fine except its developed a coolant issue where it is pushing coolant out of the overflow. I changed the radiator cap and that didnt fix the issue. I took it in and they said its either got a head gasket leak or a cracked head. is there anything else it could be? and if it is the heads is there anything i should do while i got it open?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe there's too much coolant in it? If you're not losing coolant, then it's probably not a bad head gasket.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM

make sure the system is bleeded, look ur oil for a mix with coolant,open radiator cap with car cool and start it to check for pressure coming from it also sometimes air might noticed if there are leak by feeling air when opening the oil cap at the valve cover.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM

It will push enough out to where theres not enough to run the heater core. and you cant see the coolant in the radiator. takes a week or so. but i havent lost a bit of performance or gas milage.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So you fill the radiator with coolant every week? In that case, it's either a bad LIM gasket or a bad head gasket.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by cangri_926
make sure the system is bleeded, look ur oil for a mix with coolant,open radiator cap with car cool and start it to check for pressure coming from it also sometimes air might noticed if there are leak by feeling air when opening the oil cap at the valve cover.
There is no coolant in the oil or visa versa. The shop i took it too said that what they did with testing the coolant is put a pressure cap on the radiator and ran it for 20 minutes, said there was 30 lbs if pressure when they shut it off..... i dont know if they did that or not just what they said. i moved to a pretty crappy town and dont really trust the mechanics down here. I have no problem with opening it up and replacing the gaskets, ive already had to do the intake about 30k miles ago. im just not real good at diagnosing.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
So you fill the radiator with coolant every week? In that case, it's either a bad LIM gasket or a bad head gasket.
the heat stopped working one day so did a flush and refil, i used a long funnel filled it up, started it let it get to operating temp and topped of while bleeding the system. then i ran it for a about a week when the same thing happened, took it to a shop, and parked it.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM

ok then got a last question for u,in my case my 99 was running god for a while after i bought it then starts to loose coolant and it wasnt on the floor,just a bit after i saw my check engine light on back and forth so went to autozone they check the code and was the o2 sensor,a bit after just one morning i step on the gas and all i see at the light was white smoke asa i park all my coolant was comming from my top of engine,replaced the intake gasket and no problems,no coolant lost and no check engine,just trying to help

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by cangri_926
ok then got a last question for u,in my case my 99 was running god for a while after i bought it then starts to loose coolant and it wasnt on the floor,just a bit after i saw my check engine light on back and forth so went to autozone they check the code and was the o2 sensor,a bit after just one morning i step on the gas and all i see at the light was white smoke asa i park all my coolant was comming from my top of engine,replaced the intake gasket and no problems,no coolant lost and no check engine,just trying to help
Well i have replaced the intake gaskets about 30k miles ago. Ive pretty much decided to go ahead and put new heads on it. is there anything thing else i should change out while im in there? lifters? pushrods? rockers? injectors? anything i should inspect while im in there? the bottom end already has 160k miles and i dont want to stress the bottom too much or i would consider doing a higher ratio rocker swap....

Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by berencam
Well i have replaced the intake gaskets about 30k miles ago. Ive pretty much decided to go ahead and put new heads on it. is there anything thing else i should change out while im in there? lifters? pushrods? rockers? injectors? anything i should inspect while im in there? the bottom end already has 160k miles and i dont want to stress the bottom too much or i would consider doing a higher ratio rocker swap....
Well the only thing that I know is made in crapy way on these montes is the factory intake gasket,everything else should last u way longer that that factory gasket.now higher ratio rockers?idk if they will make a difference with out an aftermarket camshaft,ask opinions around before doing it.cuz I do know they are expensive.I don't know if the will make a difference,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 monte coolant issue