Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Antifreeze flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, each time you refill the radiator use nothing but fresh water...and after you drain the radiator for the last time, that is when you will add coolant....This will leave 100% pure water in your engine block, this is why you must fill the radiator with 100% concentrate coolant once you get the water to come out clear....

I think mine takes about 1 to 1.5 gallons each time I dump the radiator and refill it...Distilled water is cheap, buy like 8 gallons just to be safe, and just keep doing the process over until the water comes clear...then like I said, fill the radiator with straight coolant when you done!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM

alright guys well im bout to get to work...will let everyone kno how it goes out...n finally get to get rid of that old burnt dex cool smell...

Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2009

I also use distilled water. I also drain the block before I start. For everybody with a 3800 there is a coolant sensor right by the starter you can take out to do this. Not sure about the 3400 though. I drained my dex cool out at 50000 miles and radiator was as clean as could be. No sludge or nothing. Filled it back up with dex cool and distilled water. Its also easire to get at the radiator drain plug if you take off the plastic air dam. Also to loosen the drain plug you can use I believe a T50 torx to loosen it. Not positive about that size torx though. Maybe smaller.

Last edited by Dale3goodwrench; 06-07-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Thumbs up Flush Complete Ty Mc Forum!!

Hey, would anybody know how many sealant tabs are good when you do a general flush? I got a six pack I think three should do the trick?? Thnks for listening...
MisterSs

Old 11-14-2010, 06:30 PM

how many use the DexCool....the gm guy that works on my vehicles tell me never to use anything but.....i know it got blamed for the plastic gaskets rotting up...they were just junk gaskets

Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by misteresscoupe04intimidator
Hey, would anybody know how many sealant tabs are good when you do a general flush? I got a six pack I think three should do the trick?? Thnks for listening...
MisterSs
I crushed up 2 and added to mine....but i would think 2-3.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dale3goodwrench
I also use distilled water. I also drain the block before I start. For everybody with a 3800 there is a coolant sensor right by the starter you can take out to do this. Not sure about the 3400 though. I drained my dex cool out at 50000 miles and radiator was as clean as could be. No sludge or nothing. Filled it back up with dex cool and distilled water. Its also easire to get at the radiator drain plug if you take off the plastic air dam. Also to loosen the drain plug you can use I believe a T50 torx to loosen it. Not positive about that size torx though. Maybe smaller.
On my '05 3.4 drain , I used a 3/4" socket with an adaptor so I could use a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 75Fire
On my '05 3.4 drain , I used a 3/4" socket with an adaptor so I could use a 1/4" drive ratchet.
I am in the process of trying to flush the cooling system (03 Monte Carlo V6) and have removed the plastic air dam.

The last time I drained a radiator, the drain was a pet **** and so, I am lost as to what I need to be looking for, now that the air dam is removed.

Is there anyone who has a picture of where it is exactly and what it looks like?

That sure would help me in getting this done!

TIA

Bill

Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Shideler
I am in the process of trying to flush the cooling system (03 Monte Carlo V6) and have removed the plastic air dam.

The last time I drained a radiator, the drain was a pet **** and so, I am lost as to what I need to be looking for, now that the air dam is removed.

Is there anyone who has a picture of where it is exactly and what it looks like?

That sure would help me in getting this done!

TIA

Bill
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...adiator-26442/

Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Why are you removing an air dam?

To correctly flush the system, get a kit with the inline hose inlet so you can pump water through and let the coolant and water exit the system.

This means you'll have to have a hose coming from the top of the radiator going into a drain of some sort.

To drain it, you need to pull the plug on the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side

Quick Reply: Antifreeze flush