Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Antifreeze flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Default Antifreeze flush

anyone know the exact n proper way to completely flush a radiator and hoses...any recommended tips before i start...its an 02 MC 3.4....thkz guys...plz included supplies i will need...

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Where is radiator plug on 2002 Monte Carlo? Where is the radiator petcock on monte carlo? How Do Drain a Radiator on a 2000 Monte Carlo SS? How do you flush ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_Radiator_plug_drain_on_a_2002_Monte_Carlo -

Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is what I do....

I buy like 6 gallons on distilled water...and two gallons of coolant.

Drain the radiator, fill it with nothing put pure distilled water...run the car till it reaches operating temp, drain the radiator again, then fill back up with distilled water, and and run again till the car reaches operating temp...I repeat this about 4-5 time, or until the radiator starts draining nothing but plain clear water...Once you have nothing but distilled water in the system, drain the radiator, and fill it with nothing but 100% concentrate coolant, and top off the coolant over flow too. Then run the car for a while, and check coolant level again, topping off with straight coolant.

This gets you pretty damn close to a 50/50 mix of water and coolant, and flushes all of the old coolant out of the system...

Using distilled water is better for your cooling system, because it keeps hard water deposits from forming in the cooling system....

Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

That's what I did, but instead of putting DexCool back in I used Prestone.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 PM

10 Year Member

I second Amy on using the Prestone....I use the Prestone All Make stuff in my moms Bonneville, and plan on switching my Monte to it as soon as I hit 100K and my warrenty expires.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM

mamonte is correct on the method, but opening the bleeder valves while running to warm up helps .also, give time to cool down between flushes. about to do mine now ironically, about 2000 miles ago my father and i replaced the water pump and a flush. opened the hood yesterday and noticed "mud" in the overflow. used prestone before, must have been bad stuff! going to do it AGAIN, but using dexcool this time.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:01 PM

opened the hood yesterday and noticed "mud" in the overflow. used prestone before, must have been bad stuff! going to do it AGAIN, but using dexcool this time.
That mud is likely sludge from the old dexcool that didn't get fully flushed out when you did the coolant flush. 2000 miles of new coolant being in there finally forced all of the dexcool pudding out of the block and radiator, and now you're seeing it in your radiator tank.
Dexcool will form that "mud" when exposed to air, or when mixed with another type of coolant.

-Riggs.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by biggriggs
That mud is likely sludge from the old dexcool that didn't get fully flushed out when you did the coolant flush. 2000 miles of new coolant being in there finally forced all of the dexcool pudding out of the block and radiator, and now you're seeing it in your radiator tank.
Dexcool will form that "mud" when exposed to air, or when mixed with another type of coolant.

-Riggs.
True...

If I was you, I would flush it again, but I would put the Prestone in it again, and would not switch back to Dex-cool...

After only 20K, I've had Dex-cool literally turn to Jello in my overflow container...I personally think Dex-cool is crap. I've changed mine twice already in my car with 72K, and like I said before, as soon as my warrenty is up, i'm getting rid of Dex-cool forever.......

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Amen to that!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:08 PM

so each time i am going to fresh water right?...bout how many gallons of distilled water am i going to use each cycle?...

Quick Reply: Antifreeze flush