Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Air conditioning not working! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Default Air conditioning not working! HELP!

I have a 2001 monte carlo LS. Just this last week theHVACstarted acting up. The indicator lights are on but dim. I can hear the A/C compressor activate when the fan controls are turned on, but there is no operation from the fan. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Air conditioning not working! HELP!

how long have you had it?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:59 PM

I've only owned it a couple of years. Only has 80K miles. Its pretty strange. It works every once and a while.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 AM

Sounds like the blower motor is finished. Had to replace mine on my 01 SS. It's easy to change.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Just FYI if it's the blower motor you won't get any air no matter if you have the A/C or the heat on. It won't blow in any setting. Try this, if you can locate the blower motor in the engine bay (usually on the firewall near passenger side, has a plastic cover but it looks like a covered blower) turn it on and give it a good solid tap with something hard like a ice scraper. If it starts working then the blower is the problem. I had this with an old Beretta, and would have to pull over and hit the thing to get it working. I remember a cop pullin up behind me than laffin because he remembered having to do the same thing to one of his cars.

If that's it then find an auto parts store. Usually the hardest part is removing all the stupid plastic coverings. Or if you use a local mechanic it shouldn't be too hard for them..

Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 PM

The blower motor is under/behind the glovebox, not in the engine bay.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM

IROC: My bad, I'll admit I didn't actually go look[&:](too flippin cold!) I was recalling the position on my old car. So, being in the dash it's probably not something you can easily reach to give it a good solid tap is it?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 AM

No problem, it happens While I can't say for certain because I haven't replaced mine, it is likely that the motor can be accessed by removing the passenger side kick panel. If giving it a whack doesn't work, you can try jumping it directly to power/ground to see if it runs. There is probably just a two wire connector going to it, the ground wire being black.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 AM

Hey whats up, I believe I have the same problem with the blown motor. Was just driving to get some food, the heater was on but I noticed it was blowning weird, It would blow hard then get soft. So when I turned off my car and turn it back on, Nothing would turn on at all. No hear or A/C. Ugh, My car only has 65K miles on it. Sucks! How much does this part go for? anyone know?. Is is really that easy to install?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Something to keep in mind would be the blower resistor. I have replaced it in my wifes 2000 twice. May not be your problem cause hers didn't have the 3 lower speeds but worked on 4 and 5.

When I bought it the guy at the parts counter said GM had problems with the original ones and redesigned it.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning not working! HELP!