Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:38 PM

contact me if you have any questions.
I should reply quickly.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by mwmarshall
I tried everything even used my buddy's snap-on scanner and all ABS Sensors are reading. For giggles I installed two new front hubs and did the cv axles as well. I do notice from time to time the lights remain off so its either a bad motor which is what the scanner said or a bad ground somewhere which is yielding that code of a bad motor. Maybe this weekend if it is nice i'll take a look. (Always seems that every time I have of it is raining and every time I have to work its very nice).
What code were you getting?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Default ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System

Your doing the right thing by checking this forum. I had the same problem. I did not check here first. My mistake! Listened to 2 shops. Both were wrong. OK, lets move on to the problem. As you read this forum, it seems to be a 50/50 chance to solve it. People say to change the wheel hub. Reason... to replace the sensor. It comes with a new one. And in my case, it didn't solve my problem. So it had to be the ABS wire harness. Poor design from what I read. Had someone replace it for me. PROBLEM SOLVED ! Why I didn't do my home work on this problem, not sure. Always do. From buying things to getting things fixed. Live and learn. I would have saved alot of $$$. By the way, the ABS wire harness goes for under $40.00. Just need someone to put it in for you. Good luck. Let me know how you made out.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo w/185,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago the Trac Off, ABS light & Service Traction System light came on. Made appointment w/dealer. By the time I got there 4 days later all lights were off (however, it did not sound like the ABS was checking itself when I turned car on). Since lights were off, I was told that they were unable to scan and get codes and spent 2 hours looking it over. Final prognosis is that the vacuum system (hose or whatever) needed to be replaced $2,600 installed. Should I get a second opinion? Hate to have to trade it in.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lu Martin
I have a 2001 Monte Carlo w/185,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago the Trac Off, ABS light & Service Traction System light came on. Made appointment w/dealer. By the time I got there 4 days later all lights were off (however, it did not sound like the ABS was checking itself when I turned car on). Since lights were off, I was told that they were unable to scan and get codes and spent 2 hours looking it over. Final prognosis is that the vacuum system (hose or whatever) needed to be replaced $2,600 installed. Should I get a second opinion? Hate to have to trade it in.
First off welcome to the forum

Second, yes get a second opinion. Usually when the abs traction light comes on in our cars it is usually in need of new wheel bearings, which are far less than $2600 to get done, at most you should be paying a shop $4 - 500 for this, to replace both front bearings. Sometimes the wires also break, you can follow them up from the back of the bearing where there is a clip that they plug in too, the wires get brittle and can easily break. You can pick up replacement bearings on E bay (make sure you get Timken bearings as they are the best replacements) and if the wires have broken you can also just buy replacement wires and connect them from just prior to the problem (these are about $20 a side on e bay).

I'm curious how they could diagnose a problem without a code, unless there was visible problems that they should have shown you. I personally would stay away from that particular service department and get a second opinion from an honest shop that isn't just trying to get you to throw money at the car to get it fixed.

But usually if the lights are off, that means the problem is not occurring so it also could have just been dirt at the connectors or a bit of water trapped inside, which is why I would get it checked by someone else.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Default Service traction system

Hi there MW,
I just had the same thing come up on my 2004 Monte S/S and I took it to the dealer to have it repaired. I should be getting it back this Wednesday and when I get it back I can let you know what they found. Talk to you then. Hotrodgeo ( George )

Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM

I have the same problem abs light, trak off, service traction system. Has been happening intermittently for a few years be recently has been staying on. The mechanic scanned it and told me it needed a new master cylinder over $1000. I wiggle the big electrical connector on the master cylinder and the big round connector just above it and the lights immediately went out. Go figure! Must be an issue with one of those connectors.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Might have to see if that works on mine.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Having the same issue on the '00 SS. Trac off, ABS and Service Traction System lights. Hooked up the Tech 2 and got DTC C1218 "Pump Motor Circuit Shorted to Voltage or Motor Ground Open". Did some research on YouTube and found this video:

After watching I wiggled the connector into the EBCM and all lights and DTC cleared. Just a loose or dirty connection. I will be unplugging the connector and give it a good cleaning this weekend.

Here's a couple good videos on the subject and how to test the harness(s):

Last edited by plumbob; 08-16-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System