Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS light, Trac Off and Service Traction System

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ABS light, Trac Off and Service Traction System

So I'm coming to a stop tonight and I hear for a lack of a better wording a "groaning" or "creaking" when I hit the brake and as I'm coming to a stop the ABS light, Trac Off and Service Traction System lights all come on at once. This happened the other night too as I was coming to a stop. As soon as I turn off the car and restart it all the lights are off again. They did come back on today though half way through my drive home when I was not applying the brakes at all. Any ideas on what this might be? Is it an ABS pump going out? The groaning noise concerns me. Its not really a grinding or anything else I can explain but sounds like a groan of some kind or creaking when I hit the brake. When this happened the brakes just didn't feel right it was almost like the ABS system was "grabbing" as the groaning was going on. Its not present all the time and everything else seems to be fine with the brakes.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM

I literally had this exact problem tonight. I've been having it for the past few days, and when I asked the forum their wisdom coincided with what my mechanic would soon tell me. It's either your wheel hub (both of the front two were just replaced so that can't be it for me), or it's your ABS harness going to the wheel. My mechanic suspected the harness since he just fixed the hubs. Apparently, the wires can become worn/corroded/exposed and generally degrade over time, causing the ABS to turn on and "groan" when coming to a stop. The car will register a trouble code, and the lights will all come on as you mentioned. Take the car to the shop to determine which of the two problems it can be: wheel hub or ABS harness. Cheers!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 AM

When it rains it pours. My wife picks me up from the hospital and says BTW some dash lights are on. So I see its flashing Service Traction System, the ABS light is on and the Trac Light is on. I pop on the scanner and it has 4 ABS codes and everything else is fine. I get codes
C1216 EBCM command pressure release is too long
C1224 Right front wheel speed sensor circut
C1228 Right rear wheel speed circut
C1235 Right front wheel speed sensor circut low input 2
Just my luck lol welcome home. Has anyone got whacked with all these at once? Im thinking wiring since so many codes popped up at the same time or possibly the ABS controller or am i barking up the wrong tree? Any help would be truly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
I literally had this exact problem tonight. I've been having it for the past few days, and when I asked the forum their wisdom coincided with what my mechanic would soon tell me. It's either your wheel hub (both of the front two were just replaced so that can't be it for me), or it's your ABS harness going to the wheel. My mechanic suspected the harness since he just fixed the hubs. Apparently, the wires can become worn/corroded/exposed and generally degrade over time, causing the ABS to turn on and "groan" when coming to a stop. The car will register a trouble code, and the lights will all come on as you mentioned. Take the car to the shop to determine which of the two problems it can be: wheel hub or ABS harness. Cheers!
Thanks I'm thinking wiring too. When I bought this Monte it had been totaled at one time and the front passenger ABS wiring harness was cut at the wheel hub with the connector missing and then of course cut further up on the engine side. So my ABS and Trac Off lights were on all the time at that point. My nephew wrenches so I took it to the garage where he works and he simply soldered them back together with a length of wire after verifying resistance. He did tell me that the wiring had a "little corrosion" on the one end but he thought it would work for a good long time.

So it looks like it isn't working anymore. LOL

Thanks again I'll be contacting him to see what else we can do.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 PM

well my wife calls from town and she is excited because the abs and trac lights are off. well she puts it in reverse to back out and the lights come back on. so this seems intermittent i guess. is that a wiring problem then? if the sensors in the hubs did happen to go out all at once wouldn't the lights always be on? or do these abs controller modules act real flaky too.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by optic1
well my wife calls from town and she is excited because the abs and trac lights are off. well she puts it in reverse to back out and the lights come back on. so this seems intermittent i guess. is that a wiring problem then? if the sensors in the hubs did happen to go out all at once wouldn't the lights always be on? or do these abs controller modules act real flaky too.
Kind of same thing I'm experiencing. After shutting off the car and restarting the lights pop back on.

I believe a bad hub would throw the light all the time but I'm not 100% certain on that. If you can have the wife listen to see if she hears a "howling" from one of the tires that would signify a bad hub OR if you can grab the tire and 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and rock it back and forth to see if there is any play in it. Also does she hear any "groaning" just before the lights come on? With mine I can hear it and its almost like the ABS pump is grabbing and pulsing a little.

I would check the wiring from the hubs and see if its frayed or has a nick in it. I'm assuming the corrosion inside mine was a little worse off then my nephew originally thought.

Good luck with it.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM

I had the same problem, mine ended up being both front hubs and one harness. Lucky for me it was paid for under a warranty.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The Dad
I had the same problem, mine ended up being both front hubs and one harness. Lucky for me it was paid for under a warranty.
Did your bad hub(s) throw the lights all the time or were they still intermittent?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 PM

I get the groaning and grinding big time when coming to a stop. Then the light somewhat randomly comes on though.