Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'98 monte not starting every time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Default '98 monte not starting every time.

Hi guys, I am having a problem with my '98 monte. Seems like about two to three months ago I started having a problem with my car starting. At first I would turn the key and nothing would happen, except all my lights and horn and electrical accs. would work. But no click or anything from my starter. This would happen just once in a great while. Then it just started to happen more frequent, but it would eventually start. May be after three to five minutes. About 4 days ago I was at work and it did it again. Only this time I waited for about two hours and never did start. I had the car towed home. At home I loosened the battery cables, well actually took one off and lightly cleaned it. After putting it back it started. I then proceeded to install the air filter box back in and when I installed everything back in it did not start. I went ahead and took everything back off and took both cables off and really cleaned them. I tightened them back on and the car started and has started every time since then. I need to make an out of town trip that is about 200 miles from home and I do not want to get stranded out there. I have called threee local repair shops and they all gave me totally different reasonsof why it is doing this. But not one of them will guarantee any of their work. Can any body steer me in the right direction. One other thing I have noticed that my security light is coming on. Help!!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Default RE: '98 monte not starting every time.

Take the car to AutoZone
Have them do a load test on the battery
and have them test the starter as well

I would be willing to say that its a starter issue but this way you will get them both checked
at the same time

Old 08-05-2007, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member

Well guess what guys, it has been over a month and I have not had any problems since I fixed it. The problem was the little chip on the ignition key ( it is really a resistor) was not being read every time. Thus the car would not start. I by passed the system by going to radio shack and buying the right size resistors and hooking it up to the wires under the dash and it works now.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Hi Dan,
Thanks for posting your results. It's great to read someone's post, that the problem has been resolved.
Look forward to your future posts.
Post some picture's of your Monte,for the members to see : )
Wish you Good Luck with your Monte Carlo,
`Space