Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

86 ls turns but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Default 86 ls turns but wont start

Hey guys heres my problem. 86 LS 305 been siting through the winter but today was hot so i went to start her up. Engine turns over no problem but doesn't start it smells of gas so i know fuel is making it to the carb. i got it running for a few seconds but it died when i let off the gas. My question is about the gas , im thinking with the cold and hot days we been having could the gas have frozen and thawed and if so could that ruin the gas or create water? im changing all the fluids and spark plugs in the spring but i wanted try to get her running before then. car ran fine before winter, its only been about 4 months
any help would be good, even if your thinking out loud...

Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Couple of thing to try, check the choke, make sure it is working, or lack of working, since it has sat the gas may had leached down the line and could have posibly evaporated out of the bowl durring the winter so obviously you smelt gas so you have gas at the carb now, may have flooded it out trying to get it to start, check your spark, see if it's strong, idk just kinda rambling, lol give her a good 4-5 pumps on the gas befor you try to start it

Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

After sitting for a period of time the gas may be bad. My old truck sat for a while when gas prices were high and I only started it every few weeks. It would start very hard, I'd have to prime the carb with gas or starting fluid to get it going. once it warmed up it would run tho and I could start it fine after that. If it sat through winter it could be frozen or the fuel filter could be dirty. Just remember older motors are a lot easier than new cars, as long as you have Air fuel spark and compression they'll run.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:54 AM

thanks guy im going to check the gas more today see if its darker than normal then il proceed to the check choke, ill try priming the carb too

Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM

ive let my car sit for a couple of years in snow and what not an started up fine. i doubt that the gas is bad. like i said 2 years with the same gas and jersey snow no problem. even if it is the choke if you get it to fire and you keep the rpm up once it gets warmed up it should stall out. fuel filter could be possible and its a cheap fix. you could always run it without it and see if thats the issue before you pony up the 2 bucks for one.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 AM

I would drain all the old gas out of the tank - or put some Iso-Heet in it with some fresh fuel. Like the others said - check for good ignition spark...

Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Having almost the same problem just replaced my starter I have a good alternator a brand new battery and my motor is not locked up but when I try to start my car the car response like the battery is dead I've also tried jumping it and other things like that what else would make it not startalso have new plugs plug wires and distributor cap

Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

What is the condition of your battery cables and their connections? Over time oxidation occurs where you can't see it (under the casing) and creates resistance in the cable. When that happens it can no longer transfer enough amperage in order to engage the starter.

Originally Posted by Brian Bullit Helm
...I've also tried jumping it and other things like that...
Was one of those 'other things' adjusting the ignition timing without a light or scope hooked up? Too much initial timing will make it difficult for the engine to rotate.