Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4t65e urgent please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Exclamation 4t65e urgent please help

HELLO MY APOLOGIES IF I MAKE MISTAKES. I HAVE A URGENT QUESTION I HAVE 2002 MONTE CARLO 3.4 V6 WHICH JUST GOT TOTALED REAR HIT TO WHICH IM NOW CARLESS UNLESS YOU GUYS CAN ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION I CAN GET A 2001 OLDS AURORA 3.5 V6 REALLY CHEAP BUT IT WONT GO INTO OVERDRIVE COULD I USE THE TRANNY FROM MY 02 MONTE IN ITS PLACE IVE READ THAT I HAVE TO KEEP THE TORQUE CONVERTER OTHER THAN THAT WOULD IT RUN I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT GEAR RATIOS I JUST NEED A CAR BAD WOULD THIS RUN ON ALL 4 GEARS AND ENGAGE INTO OVERDRIVE......PLEASE HELP!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM

I would assume if it has a 4T65-e transmission in it and the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same/computer connectors and wat have you than yes. It will.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by l0gitech87
I would assume if it has a 4T65-e transmission in it and the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same/computer connectors and wat have you than yes. It will.
I would also check to make sure the trans mount lines up in the subframe to find out for sure.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

do your research on it, idk if it will bolt in or not but if the gearing is different between transmissions it WILL need tuned or you will toast the trans real fast.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 AM

actually I looked at the tranny from both cars on autozone theyre identical except that obviously different part numbers. So how would I go on tuning and one more question I saw that the one on the aurora original tranny its a 4T65e HD and on the monte its just a 4T65e I read on another place that I only need to change the differential from the aurora to convert the tranny from the monte from 4T65e to 4T65e HD is this true

Last edited by mannyspcworld; 10-06-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 AM

I only want a daily driver not looking at performance or mods and have at least something from my beloved Monte Carlo on this pos aurora besides the tranny from the monte is not even a year old

Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

As I understand, the HD 4T65 was offered on cars with the supercharger. It was a beefier diff to handle the higher power of the car BUT, did not strengthen the other "weak" parts in the trans.
To make a 4T65 an HD it requires the HD diff, the diff cover and a different axel half shaft (as it needs to be shorter, as the HD diff sticks out further).

As for a tune to change the gearing, I don't think a DHP PowrTuner can work with the Olds Aurora, leaving the HP Tuner as the tool of choice. You either have to buy the tuning device OR pay a company to re-tune your PCM (PCMforLess.com, Intense, ZZP, Overkill, all places that MIGHT be able to help you out).

Honestly, unless you have big plans for the car, you are opening up more of a pain in the butt if you need to re-tune the PCM for the trans AND swap the diffs. Either have the trans rebuilt from a reputable company, get the correct trans or work with a company like Triple Edge Performance.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:22 AM

I truly appreciate the help im gonna give it a try as a family member is gonna do the swap and pray to god that it works if it doesnt then oh well swap them back and use it like that it runs but i cant go past 55 mph without going 3000 rpm as it doesnt engage the overdrive so it wastes alot of gas besides whos gonna do the swap owes me some bucks that i know im not gonna see them again so might as well put him to work.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:07 AM

Just remember, if you try the swap and it doesn't work, it's may be cheaper to have the original transmission fixed while it's still out of the car. I've dropped a tranny once or twice and taken it into the shop for a fix/rebuild just because it saves on labor costs.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

if you are swapping in a hd trans in a non hd car you WILL need a tune, also you will need the hd passenger side axle as well like stated above do to the hd diff being longer.

also double check that all the connectors etc are the same so the pcm knows how to read the trans.... moreless make 100% sure there compatible and the only thing that is different is gearing and the diff. if this is all that is different do the swap and have the pcm tuned before you drive the car and you should be good to go.

if you do not do the swap and drive your car with no overdrive it is making the trans very hot and eventually going to burn out all clutches and then it will slip etc in all gears. one more thing are you sure it is not going into 4th or is it going into 4th but the converter not locking up? this could only be a converter issue and not a gear issue...

our cars gears shift like this:

1st
2nd
3rd
3rd converter lockup
4th
4th converter lockup

4th is "overdrive" but many people mistake the converter not locking as not shifting into 4th because when the converter locks up it feels like the trans shifts...

Quick Reply: 4t65e urgent please help