Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2006 Monte SS Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Default 2006 Monte SS Wont Start

Hey there,

We just developed a problem in our '06 Monte SS. Car was started at home, drove to work fine. Shut the car off, as usual, and now the vehicle will not start. The remote wouldn't lock the doors, or lights wouldn't flash.

We thought, okay, 47k on the ODO, maybe the battery is dead. We had the battery replaced with an Optima some 20k miles ago, as the original battery died out of the blue. So tonight, we decided to try and jump the car. As anyone would check, wires were hot, and we connected them to the Monte. Waited a minute for it to "charge" and tried starting the car. Nothing. All the lights were working, and the remotes were working.

The weird part is, when you put the key in the ignition, the dash lights, headlights, and other interior lights, would start blinking in and out of power, quickly. Try and turn the key over, and no noises or lights at all.

I am unsure, what is wrong with the vehicle. I am immediately thinking, the Computer is fried in the car, but I am not the one to make that decision, as I simply do not have enough information of why it is doing this.

If any of you would like to chime in or have an idea of what the problem may be, that would be greatly appreciated.

Gabriel

Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I actually still think it's the battery.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Sounds to me like your BCM died....Car wont start....lights flash...remote doesnt work etc...sounds like BCM issues...i went through that...no codes on the CEL....Dealer ASE mechanics told me BCM is good but couldnt figure out the problem... I Insisted that they change the BCM and reprogram the new one....Car started right up with no problems to this day....was changed in February 2011...I had the so called ASE certified GM mechanics scratching their heads with confusion on their faces...LOL... electrical issues are very hard to diagnose...Optima batteries are not the greatest batteries around..Mine died after 1 year and i did not buy another one..i switched to the sears Die Hard Gold...Re-check your battery cables to make sure they are tight especially the (Black) ground cable...Sometimes when someone gives you a jump and your cables are not tight or corroded your car acts like it has a dead battery and will not start....but when a BCM goes...no matter what you try..it wont start anymore until you replace it...Hope my advice helps you with your issue!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't jump right to BCM. I also would suspect the battery. Even if it is pulling 12v on a multimeter reading, it does require a lot of power to start these cars.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 AM

got it towed to a repectable shop in town in the evening, and the car will be diagnosed in the morning.

The car also seemed to develop another problem. When trying my luck to see if the car would start before towing. The car seemed to tick tick tick tick really loudly behind the dash. It would continue for a minute and would then just stop. Not sure what the heck that is, but we will look into it as well.

Thank you for chiming in guys, I will make sure we take your info into consideration.

Gabriel

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM

[quote=GooberMT;340398]got it towed to a repectable shop in town in the evening, and the car will be diagnosed in the morning.

The car also seemed to develop another problem. When trying my luck to see if the car would start before towing. The car seemed to tick tick tick tick really loudly behind the dash. It would continue for a minute and would then just stop. Not sure what the heck that is, but we will look into it as well.

Thank you for chiming in guys, I will make sure we take your info into consideration.

Gabriel[/quote

If im remembering correctly, my 06 "tick'ed" just like that when the battery needed to be jumped... As i tried to start it i believe i heard that same tick from behind the dash, then once i jumped it she started right up. It might be your battery again, maybe a defective battery or something but i suppose we will find out soon enough. Good luck!

**EDIT**
Also my battery was shot! It needed to be jumped just from the doors being open for 15 minutes as i vacuumed my car! That damn chime really eats up some juice haha..

Last edited by 06-montelt2; 07-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Default wont start

mine is doing the same thing , what was wrong ?