Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2005 Monte Carlo Stalls and Shuts Off in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Default 2005 Monte Carlo Stalls and Shuts Off in Drive

I have an '05 with 205k miles on it. I was driving down the highway and the car suddenly shut down at about 70 mph. It started right back up, but shut off again once I put it in drive and hit the gas. Had to get it towed.

After numerous failed attempts to get the problem figured out, I parked it in the garage.

Started it the other day and it drove fine in the neighborhood for 10-15 minutes, then shut off again. Get this, in park it'll idle and purr like a kitten all day. I can put it in reverse and drive backwards all day with no problem. But as soon as I put it in drive it starts to sputter and when I hit the gas, it dies. Not check engine light or codes. What gives?? Help!!!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Just posted this for another user who was having a problem. See if this is the issue for you:

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Something similar happened to me about a year ago. Here's what I found out.

I was driving home when the car started to act weird. I continued to drive and finally the engine cut out. I tried starting it 2 times with no luck. Thankfully, no one was on the road.

A buddy of mine came by and tried starting it, and it ended up starting. I drove it home. The next day, I tried to start it with no luck until the 3rd or 4th time. I decided to take it to a mechanic, who found the problem. It turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator leaking gasoline and not keeping a vacuum seal. Once he replaced that, I never had the issue again.

Try seeing if that's the issue.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback '04. Actually changed the fuel regulator already, as it was faulty and leaking. This issue started even after the regulator was replaced. I'm pretty stomped.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might be a restricted exhaust due to a clogged catalytic converter.

You can test be loosening the nuts that connect the inlet side of the converter to the exhaust pipe and separating them enough to provide adequate air flow. Test drive and see if there's an improvement it's the converter.

Check out these videos:

Last edited by plumbob; 02-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thought I have, how old/how many miles are on the plugs and wires? Might have a spark issue if the plugs are too worn out. They might appear to work fine until a serious load is put on the engine.