Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2005 Monte Carlo - No heat or AC

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Default 2005 Monte Carlo - No heat or AC

Initial issue happened a couple years ago. While driving in the summer and with the AC on, had smoke pour out the vents on me. Needless to say, I had no heat or AC afterward. Finally getting around to fixing the issue. I have replaced the blower motor (it was toast!) and the resistor (seems they go out with the motor most of the time) and still no luck. I have checked the fuses and have not discovered any to be blown. Any other common areas to look at?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know this will sound crazy but on my 03 SS I owned I would get random issues with no blower function. It might not work for 5 minutes or might go 5 days. But it would also exhibit other symptoms such as cruise light would illuminate on the cluster and the overhead info center would be inoperable.
I knew the blower motor was good because when it worked it worked fine. Also ruled out the resistor because when working all fan speeds worked. The resistor failing normally results in the blower motor only working on 1 speed. Either full blast or minimum no in between.
Anyhow long story short turned out to be bad ignition switch. Not the key cylinder but the electrical part the cylinder goes in to. Never had blower or the other issues again while owned the car. I'm no wiring guru by no means. Electrical issues drive me bananas but there must be a ground or hot feed to the blower that runs through that switch.
Good news it's not hard, takes maybe 30 min to change and not expensive.
Sorry for long winded reply, but that's one area to at least look at if stumped.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I assumed you've checked the wires and connectors and they're OK. If the blower was running when it fried there would have been a high amp. draw through the wires that could have fried them too. I'm surprised no fuses where blown, might be worth double checking. Does the blower run at all now? or are there other issues?