Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 SS Wont Start! Cranks over but wont fire up. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Default 2003 SS Wont Start! Cranks over but wont fire up. Help please!

Went to start up my 03 SS Monte this morning and cranked over but wouldnt fire up no matter what. Had this car for two years and havent had any problems. I sprayed some starting fluid in there, nothing... I checked for spark from the wires, nothin...I also checked all the fuses. Im not familiar with all this electrical stuff on this car any information would be great! I just need somewhere to begin!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 AM

If you're not getting spark, then you figured out why the engine won't fire.
Now you gotta figure out why it's not getting spark.

An issue with the ICM maybe?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be the ICM or crank sensor if you're not getting spark. I recommend checking the fuel pressure anyway.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 PM

I would suspect crank sensor because the ignition module and coils are pretty reliable on 3800's. Is the engine light on when you turn the key to run? If not the PCM could be toast but I'd get a tech at a good garage to scope the crank signal the wires from the crank sensor go direct to the PCM which is inside the stock air filter casing so it's easy to test there.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM

I pulled the ICM out and brought it down and had it tested and it passed everytime. All the coils are good as well. The engine light does come on when I try and start it. I was told the PCM's rarely go out so im guessing my next thing is the crank sensors like you suggested. That would require me to have the car towed to a mechanic shop right?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No. Just buy a 3800 harmonic balancer/crank pulley puller off ebay. I got one for like 30 bucks. Remove serpentine belt. Remove crank pulley. Remove crank sensor, replace crank sensor, reassemble. Took me like an hour, and I was bull****tin.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM

You don't need to remove the harmonic ballancer to replace the crank sensor. Have the PCM checked for codes. If it has a crank sensor code 2 scenarios could play out 1: the sensor could be bad. 2: it may have a small amount of rust pushing the sensor away from the crank shaft and it isn't getting a strong enough reading. Even if there isn't a code I've seen the rust thing do that. Make sure the location that the sensor goes into is clean metal on the block but only use a scraper or razor blade, don't use any type of grinder.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Okay I guess I will have the pcm codes checked out and go from there. Guy quoted me like 150 to have it diagnosed was just trying to avoid having it towed to the shop But i appreciate the help. Ill post what they diagnose

Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM

I bought a new crankshaft position censor and Im installing it in the morning. Any and all help with the install would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Default Same problem no spark to plugs need help bout to give up

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
You don't need to remove the harmonic ballancer to replace the crank sensor. Have the PCM checked for codes. If it has a crank sensor code 2 scenarios could play out 1: the sensor could be bad. 2: it may have a small amount of rust pushing the sensor away from the crank shaft and it isn't getting a strong enough reading. Even if there isn't a code I've seen the rust thing do that. Make sure the location that the sensor goes into is clean metal on the block but only use a scraper or razor blade, don't use any type of grinder.
I have 2003 also replaced everything put new ecm and now engine won't crank

Quick Reply: 2003 SS Wont Start! Cranks over but wont fire up. Help please!