Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Based on what I've read so far on the issues with the carlos I can't tell if my bcm is out lol. I have issues but not the actual function of the engine. Mine is an 02 LS and my blinkers sometimes don't work but if I press the hazard switch on and off they come right back. I have a few instrument lights out (driver door window and lock buttons, the temp control *****, and half the fuel guage. My rear defrost doesn't work at all after I hit 98000 on the odometer. And now my cruise control light comes on and either turns off or off the a/c. HELP!!! I really love my car and its breakin my heart lol plus I'm poor lol

Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 AM

I have an 03 SS. I suspect the BCM is bad as I get a "relay symphony" under the dash and under the hood on occasion. The headlights also go on and flicker. It will stop if I disconnect one of the BCM plugs.

The question is: There are a lot of used BCMs on eBay that say they will work in a 03 SS. Do they have to be programmed by the dealer? Can they be used as is? Has anyone had experience getting a used BCM, installing it, then going to the dealer for programming?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 PM

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo and I am having a similar problem. Sometimes my car will not start and I have to disconnect the positive battery cable then reconnect it and it will start. Sometimes the radio will display locked and the car will not start then I have to disconnect the positive battery cable for hours before it will start again. The yellow security light stays on always. And since all this started my key fob doesnt work for locks or trunk and if I hit by accident my car will not start, having to disconnect battery again. And my A/C will not work. Every time I replace the fuse for a/c and door locks they blow within minutes. Can someone please give me some advice.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Teresa
I have a 2002 Monte Carlo and I am having a similar problem. Sometimes my car will not start and I have to disconnect the positive battery cable then reconnect it and it will start. Sometimes the radio will display locked and the car will not start then I have to disconnect the positive battery cable for hours before it will start again. The yellow security light stays on always. And since all this started my key fob doesnt work for locks or trunk and if I hit by accident my car will not start, having to disconnect battery again. And my A/C will not work. Every time I replace the fuse for a/c and door locks they blow within minutes. Can someone please give me some advice.
The Security Light/Radio Locked/No Start are common indicators of a problem with the passlock system. You can try doing a security relearn to solve the problem. Turn the key to the ON position and leave it there for 11 minutes. Now turn the key to the OFF position for 10 seconds. Repeat this pattern 2 more times for a total of 3 cycles (ON 11m/OFF 10s/ON 11m/OFF 10s/ON 11m/OFF 10s). The vehicle should now start and both the Security and Locked lights should be off. If the problem continues you may need to replace the ignition switch or (worst scenario) the Body Control Module (BCM).

If a fuse blows instantly it indicates a direct short in the circuit. If it blows a few moments after activating it is usually caused by an excessive amperage draw on the circuit that exceeds the limit of the fuse. The only way to know for sure what the cause is would be to have the circuits tested.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM

Thank you for your help. I will definately try the security relearn. About the fuses blowing, they blow for both fans which my car will overheat if sitting still plus A/C will not work and the door locks blow fuses also. Could the BCM have anything to do with that?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM

I'm glad folks are still posting about this. I have an 06 SS and had similar problems last night. I stopped at a local grocery store. When I got out of the car I hit the lock, but didn't think it has locked so I hit the lock on the fob. When I came back out 10 minutes later, I discovered my fob wasn't working- not to unlock the doors or open the trunk. I tried my back-up fob, still nothing. I tried opening the door, and it wasn't locked. When I got in to start it, I didn't notice the dome light was not on. I put the key in, it turned to start position, but that's all, it wouldn't fire. So I checked the shifter, it was stuck in park. Yes in park, I doubled checked as I have turned it off in drive before too. I gave it a few more tries and gave up and walked home, about a 15 minute walk.

Once home I got my boyfriend to take me back to my car. He suggested I try OnStar (which I didn't think of before), but I couldn't use my OnStar button, it too was dead. So called on my cell. They could not detect the car at all and thought maybe it was the anti-theft device, but could not do anything about it. We were transferred back and forth between OnStar and GM Roadside Service for about 55 minutes. We finally gave up and called a local garage. Once they got there he decided to try jumping the battery first and as soon as the conections were made, it started.

If I recall correctly, this has happened before, but while figeting w/the steering wheel, shifter or something I got it to start. Perhaps those few times I was in drive too?? Anyway, I had NO POWER to anything what so ever. It ran perfectly today.

Does this sound like the above problems? The passlock system? The Theft Deterrent System Fuel<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 7.8pt; HEIGHT: 7.8pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="icon1" src="file:///C:\Users\SAMMIE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Enable Circuit? Do I have to do a security relearn procedure?

My boyfriend is telling me to get rid of it - I've had repeated trouble w/the emissions system, but I LOVE my Monte and know this is the last one for me. I'd like to keep it for awhile longer.

Any help is appreciated!!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 PM

I had alot of the same problems and thought it was the bcm. So I took it to the dealer and the changed the ignition with a new one and the problem went away

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM

boggie - did this happen more than once to your Monte? Was it expensive?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Default No dash lights

All cars have problem as they get older, just like we do and Electronics do not last forever even though we would like them to.
If you sale your Monte Carlo and buy another car you will pay WAY more than if you just fix what is wrong with your car. People are so dumb some times. They have this "THROW AWAY" mentality.
I have a 2002 Dale Earnhardt Edition Monte Carlo with a few electrical problems. The headlights don't go on some times. All I do is turn on the 4 way flashes and move the turn signals left and right and the headlights go on. I believe it is the HAZARD switch that is the the reason. It is a switch that almost never gets used and the contact get dirty, especially if you smoke in the car. Just push the switch 8 or 10 times once a month and work the contacts the you won't have this problem. As for the dash lights not working, 8 out of 10 times it is going to be the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM control a number of things. It controls : Interior light system, exterior light system, Headlight system, remote keyless entry system, shift interlock system, anti-theft system, trunk, tailgate, fuel door systems, door lock system, Air conditioning system, Rear window refogger.

Here is a break down of what the BCM controls

1) Courtesy lamps
2) Park Lamps
3) Keyless entry System
4) Fog Lamps
5) Ignition Voltage
6) High Beam headlight Relay
7) Horn Relay
8) Backup Lamp Relay
9) Auto Trans Shift Lock Solenoid
10) Security System
11) Instrument Lamps (includes steering wheel sw lamps/ door sw lamps/ radio and A/c - Heat control Lamps)
12) Trunk Release Relay
13) Trunk Ajar Sw.
14) Daytime Running Lights(DRL) Ambient light Sensor
15) Door Lock Control System
16) Interior Lamps (dome and under dash lights)
17) Traction Control Switch
18) ABS System

So it you have a problem with any or a few of these system you need to check the BCM before you start pulling apart a wiring harness.

Remove the panel under the dash, look up ! between the steering column and the E brake and you will see an Aluminum brace, the BCM sits above the brace, it has 3 connectors on it (pink or samon) blue and white. Remove the 3 connectors first(if you try to remove the module with the connectors on you will never get it out) then push the module toward the front of the car and pull down. After you have the module in your hand plug in the connectors again. for no dash, steering wheel A/C-heater lights or door sw. lights check connector "1" wire B11(gray wire), if there is no voltage then the module is bad.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 AM

Are you sure it's a VATS system and not passlock II ?
My 03 Monte has Passlock II and have had the battery light and the security light go on and the car won't pass inspection since the back up light are not working.
I looked all over the internet for solutions and found one site where the guy says it's the tin plated pins in the passlock module on top of the key lock and key cylinder.
This person gave people instructions to carefully solder the female plugs from the socket that holds the female plugs to the male tin plated pins.
I am in a hurry to get the car to pass inspection so I found a old computer 3 pin pig tail plug to use temporary.
So far no security light or battery light going on and the back up lights are working and you can hear the door locks engage.
So people are told to replace the BCM needlessly unless your lights in your car are going crazy, or door locks are going crazy.
I noticed before when the battery light and the security light went on in the instrument cluster that the air con and the radio would not work.

Quick Reply: 2002 Monte Carlo will not start