Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo will not start

I have a 2002 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo that will not start and only the check engine light comes on. I had it read out with a scan tool and it's related to the VATS system not alllowing the car to start. If I temporarily remove the battery ground and wait a few seconds then connect it will start a couple of times then repeat the same problem engine check light only no battery messages, abs lights, and etc. I think the problem is the ignition switch locking out the car so it won't start. So I'm in the process of trying to get at the ignition switch to take it out where it's mounted and temporarily want to try to by pass it to see if the car will start everytime to isolate the ignition switch. I have taken the dash and lower panels out, but the iginition switch is still enclosed in the plastic framework and it looks like you would have to remove all that and the gauge cluster. So is there an easier way of getting the ignition switch out without taking the entire panel and gauges cluster out.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 PM

no there is not...if i remember correctly it is not just a remove and replace deal. it requires some vats programming. someone here has had it done hopefully they will chime in

Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 AM

does the engine turn over and just not start? have you tried doing a security relearn procedure?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM

If I remove the negative battery terminal for a few seconds the car will start with the dash indicators and lights working correctly a couple of times then the same problem check engine light only. Scan tool shows it VATS problem which is related to the ignition switch. Had a simlar problem on my 87 VET VATS locked out the ignition same way wouldn't start used a bypass module corrected the prooblem starts every time.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM

If I remove the negative battery terminal for a few seconds and reconnect it to the battery the car will start with the dash indicators and lights working correctly a couple of times then the same problem check engine light only. Scan tool shows it VATS problem which is related to the ignition switch. Had a simlar problem on my 87 VET VATS locked out the ignition same way wouldn't start used a bypass module corrected the prooblem starts every time.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Hi Thomas, sorry 2 read that U R having problems with your Monte.
How many miles on your Monte ?
Sounds like it could be a bad ignition switch ?
Several member's have had 2 replace theirs.
Use our search engine to explore problem.

Check back to see what our expert tech's suggest when
they read your post questions/problem.

Wish you good luck on resolving your prob's.

ps. One thing I've learned and it is to clean my keys
with mild dishsoap & also not to put alot of other keys,etc
on your key ring...It wears the cylinder of the lock
with the added weight of everything on your key ring..

Old 06-05-2009, 12:09 PM

I think right now that's it's definitely the ignition switch just to get at it I have all the panels off and theres an aluminum panel below the steering wheel so it looks like I might have to remove that to get at the ignition switch. I thought it was going to be an easy job to get at it and replace it. I don't want to take it to a dealer and pay $500 or $600 dollars I have had other problems that I have fixed myself on the car ABS Brakes, and etc.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM

It only has 62,707 miles on the car

Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Hi Thomas, check out the below links, and they may help, or
wait for one of our techs or member's that have
done it before.
Wish U Good Luck
<LI class=g>WikiAnswers - Dou you have a schematic for the ignition switch on ...

How do you install ignition switch on 2000 monte carlo? ... How do you replace the ignition control module in a 2000 chevy monte carlo? ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/Dou_you_have_a_schematic_for_the_ignition_switch_on_a_2000_chevy_monte_carlo - Cached - Similar pages
<LI class=g style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em">WikiAnswers - Chevy Monte Carlo Questions including "How do you ...

How do you install a performance chip in a 99 Monte Carlo? [Edit categories] ... Where is the power steering pump located on a 2000 chevy monte carlo ss? .... How do you change the ignition switch in a 1997 monte carlo? ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/FAQ/1047-10 - Cached - Similar pages
More results from wiki.answers.com »

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Default Update on the no start Monte Carlo 2002 problem

Bought a new code reader to check all the DTC codes Innova EPI3140 found a solid DTC P1626 code when it will not start indicating Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Circuit has a problem. May be related to the a wiring problem talking via email with a chevy dealer ask the tech or the body control module is my guess. Also after 2 or 3 days it seems like the battery is worn down some what it would try to start you could hear the starter clidk then sometimes nothing. Also the lights on the instrument panel cycle on and off as long as you leave the key set to the ignition mode and the service check engine light stays on really weird. So any one else out there had the same or similar problem not that I narrowed it down to something like the body control module.

Quick Reply: 2002 Monte Carlo will not start