Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Monte Carlo SS Dash Cluster Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dash Cluster Replacement.

Hello Everyone...I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS Limited Edition...I need to replace the dash cluster but the Chevy dealer wants $353.00 for a refurb unit plus install labor.I wanted to buy a brand new cluster online which i found a great price for but my service advisor told me that i cant buy it unless i want my mileage to start at zero...He said i need to purchase the cluster from them and they will reprogram it with my original mileage.Can anyone tell me if this is actually the truth? I thought that once you plug in the new cluster that the onboard computer will put the original mileage back in the new cluster but that doesnt seem to be the case.Any help on this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Default RE: 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dash Cluster Replacement.

It is stored in the cluster... you need special equipment to program it..

I know someone on a different Monte board that offers that, he also offers
mileage programming as well.

PM me if you want info.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM

Heck 2002 Monte with ZERO miles?!?! =D

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This guy does that stuff: $55 +shipping
http://bbengineer.home.comcast.net/c...pala/store.htm
But I would try to find a used unit myslf, or buy the '02 Intimidator unit from gmpartsdirect.com.
About $260, but not sure of the part#.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe I'm missing something.
They can reprogram a used cluster, but not a new one?
Why would that be?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

I know they can reprogram new ones from personal experiance. I needed a new one and got it under warranty.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your replys! I ended up buying the cluster from the local Chevy dealer parts dept.They gave me a good price on it so i didnt have to pay list.When i ordered it they took down my mileage and added some to it for the few days it would take to get the cluster .My Mileage was programmed into the refurbished cluster from a place that they do business with and sent back to the dealer.My mechanic at the dealership told me that in 2008 they will be programming the mileage into the replacement clusters so that should make things easier for those who need them replaced.I was told by the parts department that brand new clusters for the 2000 to 2005 Monte Carlos are no longer available brand new! They are all refurbished now and used again...I just hope they do a good refurbishing job on them.Now i have to get up the ambition to pull the dash apart to install it or just let the dealer service dept do it for me! Thanks again for your input! AL

Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 PM

It ain't so bad. Takes about 45 min to rip apart and replace in a home garage.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:00 PM

Just to keep you all posted on what happened with the instrument cluster replacement.... I am now on my 2nd refurb cluster replacement and waiting for my 3rd cluster.The 1st cluster that came from the official GM refurbishing center had the voltage gauge and the fuel gauge darker than the rest of the cluster.....looked wierd and junky.....Gave it back to the dealer and they ordered me another one from the refurb center.....Put that inThursday Sept 27th after workand that one has a dark speedometer dial!! Cant win with these refurbished clusters from GM on the 6 gauge cluster!! Now I'm at war with the chevy dealers parts dept cuz they are saying they never had these problems like i have and its my Monte with a deffective wiring problem,,,,,,,i said no way!! Had my mechanic check out my Monte today (Saturday..Sept 29th) at the chevy dealer......said it was the cluster and not the car......Waiting for an answer from the parts dept on a 3rd cluster for next week.....Gimme a break already with these stupid refurb units!! Make brand new ones again!! AL

Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Damn!! I think I might keep an eye on ebay againfor people parting theirs out.

Quick Reply: 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dash Cluster Replacement.