Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Driver Side Power Window Switch in Full

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Default 2002 Driver Side Power Window Switch in Full

Okay I have searched this issue across the thread using different searching phrases. Nothing In close to what i am running across.

2002 Monte Carlo SS
3.8 V6
Super Charged = NO
Almost Fully Loaded. No Heated Seats.

Issues:

It started with the Driver Side Window Switch for the Driver Side Window. Switch started to Break in side the plastic Level that allows the Up and Down Function to Work Properly. So I replaced it with a Duralast SW3767 from AutoZone.

5 minutes after replacement the Down Function Completely Stop Working(Refused to Roll Down). Two Things come to mind right off the bat. Crappy Switch or Faulty motor. Replaced the Switch again. Results are still the same(Refused to Roll Down). Check the do see if any of the wires are grounding out just in case. results on that show nothing wrong. So I decided to replace the motor on the Driver Side Window and the Switch again. Put everything together and for 3 days I had no issues until I put the door panel on. and exactly 24 hours later the Window Switch that controls the Driver Side Window. Was now not allow the window to roll up.

Now I am at a complete Lose on what the issue is. Due to the errors that I am receiving.

Once Broken Plastic in the switch.(OEM Stock Switch)
Twice it would not roll down.(AutoZone SW3767 Switch)
Once it will not roll Up.(AutoZone SW3767 Switch)

One Window Motor Replacement.(Waste of money There was nothing wrong with the motor)

The Last things that come to mind now are. Faulty Fuse/Relay or I am buying a Part that just does not work for my car and I need to get the AC Delco Version of my Switch. But for some reason I am thinking it is the Auto Down function to the Window switch Controls. Meaning that there is a Relay in my Car that is in control for just the Driver Side. Because of the Signs of the Driver Side having a Auto Down Function with more than likely be on its own Relay. And if this is the Case that the Car has a Stand Alone Relay. Then the Duralast SW 3767 switch is built incorrectly because it looks from the inside that it has a build in Relay. This would explain why the Driver Side is the one Shorting out and not working correctly. Or I am wrong and there is a Alternative Relay and it is Shorted Out Forcing Continous Power to the Driver Side. And this is what is Making my Switches to Burn Out.

I am tired of spending money and Time on a Solution that is getting Nowhere at this point. There are no Junk Yards available to compare my Switch with Another nor do I know Anyone with like my Car that is willing to help me look to compare the Difference.

Any Advice for Locating the Relay if there is one. Or a Real Technical Anwser would be Great at this Point. I do not want a Quicky Fix to this. I do not believe in a Half **** job on something. Either it is Fixed Correctly or it is not. If you need Photo's of what I am working with Please Let me know. I will be Happy to Assist. If I find a Solution before I get a Response I will repost so maybe the Solution might help Others.

Thank You

Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Default RE: 2002 Driver Side Power Window Switch in Full

Won't know where to tell you to locate the relay, but since the motor appears to be working, have you checked to make sure that you are getting voltage to the motor and to the switch itself? If your are, then the switch you used to replace may not be a direct replacement for it. There may be module that is in the OEM part that the replacement from Autozone doesn't have, and could be operating the window incorrectly. May want to ask the parts dept at your local Chevy dealer. They could also state where the relay is, and then you can determine if it'sthe culprit depending where it is in the circuit.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM

i agree with purewhitemonte go to ur chevy dealership and c if there is another module, im at my parents house so i dont ahve my manual here to look at the wiring diagram but ill give it a look 2moro and get back to you

Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM

alrighty well idk if your comin back but does the switch work for rolling ur passenger side window down? or not? if it controls the passenger window then i would suspect the wiring to the drivers side motor let us know if the switch works for the passenger window

Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 PM

Well I feel your pain. I just replaced the second window switch. I am having the exact same issue. When I put the Auto Zone switch in, it rolled the window down and up once??? And yes, it operates the passenger side perfectly! I almost believe something is missing between the auto zone swith and the chevy switch. I just want to be able to roll my window down.....

Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Is there any update with your problem were you able to find the problem? If so please let use know, for i am having the same problem on my 2001 monte carlo. I have replaced 3 window switches from napa hoping that i got a bad one. and also the window motor also from napa but it keeps blowing the drivers side switch so i am not able to roll my drivers side window down

Last edited by joshtucker; 05-31-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Hey,

I also have the same problem. For a few months my driver side window would not want to go up intermittently. It would work eventually. A couple weeks ago it did wouldnt go up at all. I took the door apart and checked the switch and motor. Got 12 volts going down, and all over the place or zero going up. Bought new switch from Murray's, worked fine for 2 days. Then it wouldnt go down. Thought I got a dud and ordered another one because it has a lifetime warranty. Fried the second one 5 minutes after I put it on. Window will go up if I use the original switch to get it down. Pass side works fine both ways. WHAT IS GOING ON?

Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM

I bought the AC Delco replacement switch from a Chevy dealership and the window goes up and down just fine now. The aftermarket switches from Murrays and other are not wired properly and short themselves out. Thanks for your help, once I read this page I realized that 4 of us could not have the same short or same exact equipment malfunction. But what frustrating waste of time this was. Happy 4th of July!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Default Defective swich

I also have a 2002 Monte Carlo,driver side switch replaced once this weekend #SW3767 Duralast. It worked two days quit again. I called autozone,they said that Duralast is mfg. by Wells Mfg. who also makes the OEM product. They said to replace and try a new switch. Should I just get an OEM instead or get another a autozone switch? Please info thoughts on this?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Default Re: Defective switch

Liberator,

I would definitely get the OEM switch from a Chevy dealership. I went through the same problems you are going through after buying a aftermarket switch. I got mine at Murray's and the first one lasted a couple of days. The second one I fried the same day I plugged it in. I went and got the switch from Chevy and it has worked for a month now with no issues since I plugged that baby in. Even though they said the manufacturer of the aftermarket switch also make the OEM switch, I disagree from experience. Something just isn't right with any aftermarket switch it seems like. Just on this thread we got NAPA, Murray's, and AutoZone switches with the same problem. They don't work when you install them. Get the OEM switch and let me know how it goes. It worked for me and it should work for you. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2002 Driver Side Power Window Switch in Full